List:       kc-kde
Subject:    [kc-kde] Summary for #15: Multithreaded application development
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2001-06-24 13:46:32

Attached.
--
Rob Kaper     | 'What? In riddles?' said Gandalf. 'No! For I was talking
cap@capsi.com | aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest
www.capsi.com | person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by
              | the young are wearying.' - "Lord of the Rings", JRR Tolkien

["kc-kde-15-multithread" (text/plain)]

<section
	title="Multithreading in KDE?"
	author="Rob Kaper"
	email="cap@capsi.com"
	subject="Multithreaded application development"
	archive="http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=99273573601517&w=2"
	posts="27"
	startdate="June 16, 2001 23:30:12 +0000"
	enddate="June 18, 2001 00:57:51 +0000"

Aurélien Gateau wrote in: <quote who="Aurélien Gateau">I'm writting a KDE
application which could really benefit using threads. I wanted to use Qt-mt,
but I read that it was not possible since KDE currently doesn't link against
Qt-mt.</quote> and asked <quote who="Aurélien Gateau">I would like to now
what is the current politic regarding threads in KDE applications
?</quote></p>
application and others advocating that one should not want that in the first
place. Cristian Tibirna explained why KDE does not use threads at the moment
and how Konqueror can still respond to user events while also downloading
data from the network, without threads: <quote who="Cristian Tibirna">KDE
uses a technology called KIO (KDE's input/output technology) to accomplish
this. These use the "many processes" as opposed to "one process/many
threads" approach. There is a continuous religious war about processes vs.
threads efficiency and performance but for now we don't care about this.
Qt's support for multithreading is very young and (perhaps) still fragile.
We will wait for it to mature (heard Qt-3 does it) and then we will start
using threads more than currently, as Waldo says.</quote></p>
<quote who="Waldo Bastian">
Sorry, I'll have to pedantic here: I haven't said that we will be using
threads more. My first answer to threads is, and always has been: don't.</p>
Having said that, I do recognize that there are cases that threads might be
the proper solution and I don't think we should deny _other_ people the
possibility to use them in such situations.</p>
</quote>
A general discussion on multithreading continued for a while and Aurélien
received more help and hints to accomplish his task without using Qt-mt.
</section>