List:       kc-kde
Subject:    Re: [kc-kde] Image Viewers on KDE
From:       Fabrice Mous <fabricemous () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2003-12-17 16:24:58

On Wednesday 17 December 2003 03:48, Chin Yee wrote:
|  Hi,
|
|  I read the KDE traffic#71 and find the discussion on image viewers
|  interesting.
|
|  I switched to linux slightly more than half a year ago and I have decided
| on KDE against gnome. Before that I was using ACDSee on Windows and
| naturally I was looking for something similar, and preferable a KDE
| application. I've tried the latest version of gthumb (a gnome image
| viewer), showimg(0.81), gwenview(1.0), imgSeek(0.82) and of course
| kuickshow and kview.
|
|  I was sad to say that kuickshow was too primitive; showimg crush and
| freeze all the time (especially after deleting files from within showimg);
| therefore I have been using gthumb until gwenview-1.0pre4 where external
| tools are usable.
|
|  I now use gwenview-1.0 mainly because it does not freeze up like showimg.
| I have krename configure as one of the external tools so that I can do
| series rename. And I use imgSeek as a standalone application for finding
| duplicate images.
|
|  Between showimg and gwenview, I still find showimg a better and more
| complete image viewer, in terms of feature and completeness - it have built
| in series renamer, and deplicate image finder while imgSeek cannot be
| beaten in terms of imaging seeking and duplicate finding capabilities.
|
|  If the image viewer applications were to be merge into one, I would choose
| the interface of showimg, the stability of gwenview and the duplicate image
| and image seeking features of imgSeek and use krename as an external tool
| for renaming images.
|
|  Just my 5 cents worth of opinions.

Hi Chin Yee,

First of all, this list is mostly about the creation of KC-KDE. We don't
actually discuss contents of the KC-KDE. Having said that I want to react to
your email.

I read your mail with interest and I think yiou should participate in several
discussions which aree going on right now. Please contact the developers of
those programs.

Some urls I think you should defenitely visit:

[ ShowImg Gwenview merge ]
http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=ShowImg+Gwenview+merge

[ KDE Traffic #71 --> reactions at Dot announcement ]
http://dot.kde.org/1071564008/

grtz'

Fab

--