List:       kc-kde
Subject:    [kc-kde] [SUM: #68] Kontact: KMail part preloading [kde-cvs]
From:       "Peter Rockai (mornfall)" <mornfall () logisys ! dyndns ! org>
Date:       2003-11-14 17:28:35

Hello!

I summarise this thread (kontact), even if it happened on kde-cvs. For
explanation of kde-cvs handling, see intro (should be in cvs by the time you
read it - just update your kckde module, and see kdetraf-68/01-intro.xml). I
think i will send the intro to the list as well, but somewhat later.

Cheers.

PS: It was spellchecked and poster errors were carefully preserved ;p.

--
Peter Rockai (mornfall), mornfall()logisys!dyndns!org, mornfall.homeip.net
He says gods like to see an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at.

["13-kontact-preload.xml" (text/xml)]

<section
	title="Kontact: KMail part preloading [kde-cvs]"
	subject="kontact"
	author="Peter Rockai (mornfall)"
	contact="mailto:mornfall@logisys.dyndns.org"
	posts="14"
	startdate="09 November 2003 23:40:12"
	enddate="10 November 2003 17:01:33">

	<topic>Kontact</topic>
	<topic>KMail</topic>
	<topic>PIM</topic>
	<mention>David Faure</mention>
	<mention>Ingo Klöcker</mention>

			who="Daniel Molkentin">Preload certain plugins entirely. Currently
			only kmail does this.  This will allow to fix at least the summary
			view and the "summaryview has no valid "new" action" bug.</quote>.
		Cornelius, with a raised eyebrow, asked <quote
			who="Cornelius Schumacher">Does that mean that the KMail part is
			now always loaded on startup of Kontact?</quote>.</p>

			who="Daniel Molkentin">Right. That's what I discussed with Ingo
			and Till, and I see no other way around that. Wouldn't it look odd
			to you if you start you fully integrated PIM suite where you told
			the kmail part to fetch mails and it won't, because it's not
			loaded? Upps. Until KMail has not been properly splitted into libs
			/ DCOP services. I see no better way. Otherwise we face a big
			usability problem and some bugs cannot be solved either (see my
			commit).</quote>. Cornelius, quite upset by the time, remarked
		ironically: <quote who="Cornelius Schumacher">So we are finally back
			to the monolithic monster app we promised not to write? What about
			removing the KMail summary view? I never understood what it should
			be good for anyway...</quote>. Daniel tried to calm him down a
		bit, stating this was only temporary workaround and will be fixed
		after kmail gets properly splitted (see above). However, this was not
		enough for brave Cornelius, who, still with ironical grin,
		replied:</p>

	<quote who="Cornelius Schumacher">

			actually read them? You don't start standalone-KMail in the
			background for retreiving mails on login either, do you?</p>

			it at all. One very important point about Kontact is that
			applications are only started when needed so that we don't create
			the big memory-hogging monster app we always were make fun of when
			we talked about Evolution or Outlook. That mails aren't retreived
			before selecting the KMail part for the first time I can hardly
			recognize as a bug. This will only give the experience of Kontact
			being slow. Do you really want that?</p></quote>

		promptly used to make Kontact Mail summary look redundant) and raising
		the issue of KMail split once again (this time David stating, that
		KMail should provide part for checking email without GUI). This was
		enough for Daniel, who mumbled <quote who="Daniel Molkentin">Yes,
			<u>should</u>. And herein lies the problem. I hope we can solve
			this for the after-3.2-release, but the KMail guys decided to
			delay that, and we have to cope with that now.</quote>. This led
		to Zack replying with no less irony than Cornelius:</p>

	<quote who="Zack Rusin">

			core is not something we could do without breaking stuff. It seems
			people view it as a three step operation:</p>

		<ol>
			<li>split core,</li>
			<li>make kmail awesome,</li>
			<li>go get cookies.</li>
		</ol>

			will come, just wait a bit.</p></quote>

		as offence, apologizing never killed anyone whom i knew, so it was
		probably right thing to do). Here the thread ended, with angry
		Cornelius mumbling in the corner (or maybe he coped and forgiven
		Daniel and the others).</p>

</section>