List:       kc-kde
Subject:    [kc-kde] [SUM: #68] KMail toolbar cleanup [kmail]
From:       "Peter Rockai (mornfall)" <mornfall () logisys ! dyndns ! org>
Date:       2003-11-11 10:31:25

Hello!

I started writing summaries for #68. This is the first one, as it is the most
urgent. This crosses mailng-list boundaries and thus, we need to cooperate
and not to step on each other's toes. So this is my proposal:

I covered the kmail part of the thread and i would like Henrique to cover the
usability part (or if you don't want to do it, i will). My part is attached.

On other things:

1) we forgot about archive links, as someone on the dot pointed out. I am
including them this time (please, add them as well to your summaries).

2) Someone also pointed out, that it might be helpful to mention the mailing
list on which did the thread happen. Investigation of kt.dtd did not show any
standardized way to do this, thusly i propose to add the name of mailing list
in square parentheses at the end of section title.

--
Peter Rockai (mornfall), mornfall()logisys!dyndns!org, mornfall.homeip.net
He says gods like to see an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at.

["10-kmail-toolbars.xml" (text/xml)]

<section
	title="KMail toolbar cleanup [kmail]"
	subject="Re: Toolbars"
	archive="http://lists.kde.org/?l=kmail&amp;m=106841851202204&amp;w=2"
	author="Peter Rockai (mornfall)"
	contact="mailto:mornfall@logisys.dyndns.org"
	posts="10"
	startdate="09 November 2003 23:52:56"
	enddate="11 November 2003 02:30:00">

	<topic>KMail</topic>
	<topic>Usability</topic>

	<mention>Henrique Pinto</mention>

		reaction to ours Henrique Pinto's post to kde-usability:</p>

	<quote who="Aaron J. Seigo">

		> I've just noticed that<br />
		> <a
			href="http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=Toolbar+Review">http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=Toolbar+Review</a></p>

			Icons" bit...  i'm very concerned that this would make KDE much
			more cluttered looking and much harder to use on smaller
			screens... this is also wasted space once the user learns the
			basic icons (e.g. print) and most users won't know how to change
			that default...</p>

			from the ui_standards.rc file... there ought to be, IMHO, separate
			ui_standards.rc files for different types of apps, actually... for
			document centric editting apps, the clipboard icons should
			probably be there...</p>

			generic to be on a toolbar IMHO, and even less useful than the
			clipboard actions.</p>

			toolbar icons from wherever they appear...</p>

			mailing that covers many of these issues; i'd like to see us
			reduce toolbar icons by 30% or more in KDE ++(3.2).</p>

			(how often does one print from the composer window?), undo/redo,
			New Composer gives us 10 icons, down from 14. that's a 28.5%
			improvement right there without even breaking a sweat =)</p>

			and the Sign button. those are probably items people either use
			99% of the time, or don't use at all. that would bring the count
			down to 8, and we're approaching 50%.</p>

			one most likely wants is to add addresses to an email... if they
			wish to just consult the addressbook, they can open it up
			separately. that would result in just 7 icons.</p>

			button since it's likely the next most often used icon.</p>

			icon should almost certainly be removed, ditto with the Delete
			button ...  the other 12 icons are defensible though. there should
			be a separator between the Print and Check Mail buttons. and
			Next/Prev msg should probably move to be between the mail check
			buttons and the trash button.. why? because one checks mail, reads
			through it, occasionally deleting or replying.</p>

			attached.</p>

			href="http://tiki.urbanlizard.com/kmail_toolbar.png">mainwindow</a>
		and <a
			href="http://tiki.urbanlizard.com/kmail_composer_toolbar.png">composer</a>
		toolbars.</p>

	<quote who="Ingo Klöcker">

			wonder why you didn't remove the address book icon from the main
			window toolbar.</p>

			the sign icon but not the encrypt icon from the toolbar. I guess
			because IYHO people normally don't disable signing once they've
			enabled it.  Still I think signing and encryption should both be
			visible. After all the signing icon not only serves as action to
			dis-/enable signing but also as indicator that signing is enabled.
			Furthermore signing and encryption definitely complement one
			another. It would IMHO be odd if one of the two actions was
			missing. I'm okay with the other changes.</p></quote>

			Klöcker">One thing I don't like about toolbar changes in general
			is that the changes will always be forced on all users and not
			only on new users (provided the version number of the rc file is
			increased).  Especially for users who don't know how to re-add
			icons they've got used to this will be a PITA.</quote>. And while
		this is very much true, neither i nor any of the contributors to this
		thread knew of any simple and elegant way of preventing this (apart
		from Aaron noting the toolbars should have been well-designed from the
		start, which doesn't seem all that helpful in the light of current
		situation).</p>

		icon to be left where it was. Aaron counter-argumented <quote
			who="Aaron J. Seigo">not only is signing something one usually
			sets up once and leaves that way, but encrypting is different in
			another way: signing relates to YOUR identiy while encrypting
			relates to THEIR identity. so the choice to encrypt or not really
			complements the action of sending an email TO someone, as who you
			send it to usually dictates whether you encrypt it or not.</quote>
		This might be true, but still (well i am biased as well) i somehow
		agree with Ingo. While the thread perished unconclusively,
		investigation on kde-cvs shows Ingo overruled them all, putting the
		sign button back.</p>

</section>