List:       kc-kde
Subject:    [kc-kde] [SUMMARY] Kontact issues
From:       "Peter Rockai (mornfall)" <mornfall () logisys ! dyndns ! org>
Date:       2003-11-07 13:33:41

Summary of thread "Kontact issues" on kde-pim.
--
Peter Rockai (mornfall), mornfall()logisys!dyndns!org, mornfall.homeip.net
He says gods like to see an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at.

["kontact-iss.xml" (text/xml)]

<section
	title="Kontact issues"
	subject="Kontact issues"
	posts="10"
	startdate="31 October 2003 01:22:31"
	enddate="31 October 2003 18:17:08">

	<topic>PIM</topic>
	<topic>Kontact</topic>

	<mention>Cornelius Schumacher</mention>
	<mention>Daniel Molkentin</mention>
	<mention>Reinhold Kainhofer</mention>
	<mention>Adriaan  de  Groot</mention>
	<mention>Michael Brade</mention>

		the groupware client:</p>

	<quote who="Cornelius Schumacher">

			of issues, which have to be resolved before the release. This
			includes showstoppers like the missing manual as well as annyoing
			bugs like menu items with no effect. I didn't make bugzilla
			entries, because there are just too many, but I think that most of
			these issues have to be resolved before we can release
			Kontact.</p>

			<ol>

				<li>There is no Kontact manual.</li>

				<li>The "configure kontact" dialog doesn't make any sense. It
					contains unsorted modules of a subset of applications and
					the plugin selection dialog is hidden behind a
					"configure..." button which propably isn't found by too
					many users (I know that it was my suggestion to make the
					button as it is now). The whole configuration dialog
					should be removed and the individual apps dialogs have to
					be reinstantiated. The plugin selection could get an
					separate menu action.</li>

				<li>The summary view File menu contains a "New
					&lt;itemfromlastselectedplugin&gt;" action which doesn't
					work.</li>

				<li>status bar doesn't adapt to the selected part.</li>

				<li>When the app corresponding to a plugin already is running,
					clicking on the icon of the plugin has no visible effect.
					After a long while the app is raised, but the plugin isn't

			<ol start="6">

				<li>The KMail summary says "utbox" not "outbox", similar for
					other folders.</li>

				<li>The KMail summary view isn't updated when the content of
					mail folders changes in KMail.</li>

				<li>When clicking on the folder link of the KMail summary, the
					KMail part is activated, but the correct folder isn't
					selected.</li>

				<li>The address selection dialog of KMail is broken in several
					ways: There are two splitters which have no real use
					(hiding buttons with a splitter is a strange way to use
					splitters), adding an address to the recipients removes
					the address from the address book, for simply adding a
					single reciepient from the address book, the list view
					item "other addresses" first has to be openend (this is
					annyoing because it's the by far most common use case,
					this should be as easy as possible).  Can't we use the

			<ol start="10">

				<li>The KOrganizer part isn't automatically loaded when
					clicking on an event in the summary view or dropping a
					mail on the calendar/todolist icons.</li>

				<li>The calendar resources kcontrol module isn't synced with
					the resource view in KOrganizer.</li>

				<li>The "New event/todo" actions in the most left toolbar
					action don't work.</li>

			<ol start="14">

				<li>When the KAddressBook part is active there are two
					identical "New contact" actions next to each other.</li>

				<li>Clicking on a mailto url in the kaddressbook plugin takes
					a long while to open a composer window. There is noi
					visual feedback during that time.</li>

				<li>In KAddressBook there is no way to configure addressbook

			<ol start="17">

				<li>Editing notes in the yellow window and the right pane in
					the KNotes view isn't synchronized. If I type something in
					the yellow window and then select the note from the list
					in the KNotes plugin everything I types is lost. The
					yellow windows should be disabled, when running KNotes in
					Kontact.</li>

				<li>The KNotes plugin randomly pops up small yellow windows
	</quote>

		documentation. Reinhold pointed out that <quote who="Reinhold
			Kainhofer">We're in string freeze, which includes help and manual,
			too :-(((</quote> But Adriaan suggested they should be sent to
		some lauri at kde dot org (Lauri Watts AFAIK), who will commit them
		before release in a manner acceptable for translators (so these will
		remain English-only). At another place, Tobias wondered whether it
		would be feasible to make Kontact documentation only point to
		respective application manuals.</p>

		different sides of one problem: <quote who="Daniel Molkentin">The
			problem is that the folder status is read from kmailrc which is an
			incredibly broken idea. Plus it doesn't cover imap folders. The
			problem is that anything else would require a permanently running
			kmail or the summary part would need to be linked against a
			convinience lib containing at least the kernel.</quote>. He also
		added, that he will look into 3 and 4. Some suggestions on other
		issues were made.</p>

		was busy with university work and that he would appreciate any
		help.</p>

</section>