List:       kc-kde
Subject:    [kc-kde] kde-traffic issue #54
From:       Russell Miller <rmiller () duskglow ! com>
Date:       2003-06-09 18:32:51

KDE Traffic #54 For 8 Jun

Editor: Russell Miller

By Russell Miller ,  Juergen Appel

Table Of Contents

Printer-Friendly Format
Text Format
XML Source
Introduction
Mailing List Stats For This Week
Threads Covered

1.
25 Jun  - 30 Jun
(6 posts)
(semi-ot) I'm back, married, and with pictures of penguines

2.
28 May  - 29 May
(10 posts)
Reusing KOffice's Code

3.
25 May  - 28 May
(12 posts)
New KWord Startup Dialog

Introduction

Very little interesting this week. There's a thread that shows some promise,
but as with the kde3.2 thread, it's also very active. I'll cover that when it
quiets down.

Juergen has suggested going to biweekly. This probably means that there will
be more per issue, but fewer issues. Any arguments one way or another?

I'd also like to thank Ingo Klöcker. I now have the xml encoding for the third
character in his name memorized.

I have nothing more to say.

Mailing List Stats For This Week

We looked at 541 posts in 2173K.

There were 222 different contributors. 103 posted more than once. 66 posted
last week too.

The top posters of the week were:

18 posts in 76K by Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?=

17 posts in 59K by Tobias Koenig

16 posts in 42K by Ingo "Klöcker"

13 posts in 48K by Waldo Bastian

11 posts in 48K by Dirk Mueller

Full Stats

1. (semi-ot) I'm back, married, and with pictures of penguines
25 Jun  - 30 Jun  (6 posts) Archive Link: "(semi-ot) I'm back, married, and
with pictures of penguines"
Summary By Russell Miller
 People: Ellis Whitehead

For those who like to watch a life spiral downhill, Ellis Whitehead said:

Just wanted to announce that I'm back. I have a couple links, too. A few
photos from the wedding:
 http://www.msu.edu/~whiteh12/wedding/wedding.html

A little KDE tribute from the honey-moon:
 http://www.msu.edu/~whiteh12/penguin/penguin.html

All respondents welcomed him back. One threatened to take away his geek card.

2. Reusing KOffice's Code
28 May  - 29 May  (10 posts) Archive Link: "Using the KOffice API's in new
projects"
Summary By Juergen Appel
 Topics: KOffice
 People: Jeff McLean, Dirk Schoeneberger, David Faure

Jeff McLean wanted to start a drawing application on his own, using KOffice
API. Therefore he had a few questions:

The developer APIs (the includes) are not installed on machines just because
KOffice is installed. Is it possible to install the includes so that I could
use the APIs the same way I'd use the KDE APIs?
Using the KOffice APIs would make my project a KOffice thing, I guess, is that
allowed? or do you need permission or something???
I wouldn't want to make users have to install the KOffice includes just so
that they can compile my application.
I welcome all discussion of this, cause I don't even really know how exactly
to ask... I just want to re-use some code that was very well done for
KOffice, withought any cutting and pasting. Confused, Jeff

Dirk Schoeneberger's reply was quite interesting:

there are currently discussions to make Karbon more re-useable and to use it
in other software projects. This includes makeing it KOffice independent.

David Faure focussed his reply on each question, saying:

[ed. note: on question 1]
 kostore, kofficecore, kofficeui and a few others (kformula, kwmf etc.) are
installed. Which libs are you talking about?
[ed. note: on question 2]
 Nope, all the libs are LGPL, you can use them to base your application upon,
no problem there ("need permission"... did you mean this the other way
round?)
[ed. note: on question 3]
 You can't have it all - if your app is a koffice component, they'll need
koffice-devel...

Jeff wasn't aware that there is such a thing called koffice-devel-package, but
pretty content to find out.

(ed. [Juergen Appel] Best wishes from the KC-KDE, Jeff.)

3. New KWord Startup Dialog
25 May  - 28 May  (12 posts) Archive Link: "Observations on the new KWord
startup dialog"
Summary By Juergen Appel
 Topics: KOffice, Usability

The KOffice applications are getting a new startup dialog. The new design
proposal can be previewed here: screeny one, screeny two, screeny three.

Though it looks nice, it is likely not yet in it's prime-time shape. Several
usability aspects have been discussed, such as icon size, additional tabs for
different directories etc.

--
Randomly generated fortune cookie:
An infallible method of conciliating a tiger is to allow oneself to be

Russell Miller - rmiller@duskglow.com - Somewhere near Sioux City, IA.