List:       kc-kde
Subject:    [kc-kde] 2nd contrib
From:       Jürgen Appel <juergen_appel () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-06-03 11:34:15

and, yes i am aware that this was done faster than the prophecied 7 hours.
cuz..: SCHOOLS OUT FOR SUMMER. at least till 5h in the eve...

["kosomething" (text/plain)]

<section
   title="Reusing KOffice's Code"
   author="Juergen Appel"
   contact="valiantSPAMWILLBE@BLACKHOLEIFIEDweb.de"
   subject="Using the KOffice API's in new projects"
   archive="http://lists.kde.org/?l=koffice-devel&amp;m=105414552213965&amp;w=2"
   posts="10"
   startdate="Wed May 28 19:59:29 2003"
   enddate="Thu May 29 16:59:57 2003"

<topic>KOffice</topic>

  Jeff McLean wanted to start a drawing application
  on his own, using KOffice API. Therefore he had a few
  questions:

<quote who="Jeff McLean">

<ul>
<li>
The developer APIs (the includes) are not installed on machines
just because KOffice is installed.  Is it possible to install the
includes so that I could use the APIs the same way I'd use the KDE APIs?
</li>

<li>
Using the KOffice APIs would make my project a KOffice thing, I
guess, is that allowed? or do you need permission or something???
</li>

<li>
I wouldn't want to make users have to install the KOffice includes
just so that they can compile my application.
</li>
</ul>
I welcome all discussion of this, cause I don't even really know how exactly
to ask... I just want to re-use some code that was very well done for
KOffice, withought any cutting and pasting.

Confused,
Jeff
</quote>

<quote who="Dirk Schoeneberger">
there are currently discussions to make Karbon more re-useable and to use it
in other software projects.
This includes makeing it KOffice independent.
</quote>

<quote who="David Faure">
<ul>
<li>
(ed. note: on question 1)<br/>
kostore, kofficecore, kofficeui and a few others (kformula, kwmf etc.)
are installed. Which libs are you talking about?
</li>

<li>
(ed. note: on question 2)<br/>
Nope, all the libs are LGPL, you can use them to base your application
upon, no problem there ("need permission"... did you mean this the
other way round?)
</li>

<li>
(ed. note: on question 3)<br/>
You can't have it all - if your app is a koffice component, they'll need
koffice-devel...
</li>
</ul>
</quote>
but pretty content to find out.<br/>
(ed.) Best wishes from the KC-KDE, Jeff.
</section>