List:       kc-kde
Subject:    [kc-kde] Update
From:       "Timothy R. Butler" <tbutler () uninetsolutions ! com>
Date:       2002-06-03 5:42:54

["kc 2002.06.02.xml" (text/xml)]

<section
  title="KOffice Mimetypes Submitted to IETF for Public Review"
  author="Timothy R. Butler"
  email="tbutler@uninetsolutions.com"
  subject="Draft template for registration of KOffice mimetypes"
  archive="http://lists.kde.org/?l=koffice-devel&m=102189872531684&w=2"
  posts="28"
  startdate="May 20, 2002 12:37:13 +0200"
  enddate="2002-05-26 19:24:37 +0200">

<quote who="Marc Mutz">
the KOffice mime types.</p>

ietf-types mailing list for a two-week comment period before it goes
into the IANA registry.</p>

in anticipation that the new mime types will also be used internally
(at least you already test for both app/x-kapp and app/vnd.kde.kapp in
the source).</p>
</quote>

various KOffice applications. Marc finished off with a question, saying, <quote \
who="Marc Mutz">Please tell me for which KOffice apps this template holds and for \
which it needs modifications.</quote> Marc's message created a flurry of responses, \
including an answer to his question from <a href="david@mandrakesoft.com">David \
Faure</a>:</p>

<quote who="David Faure">
kword</p>

kdatabase and kplato will surely use xml+zip, but we could register those apps
only when they exist, right?</p>

(jpeg, png etc.) ? Kugar doesn't appear to have an xml+zip format.</p>
</quote>

<quote who="Marc Mutz">
kword, kspread, kpresenter, kformula, kchart, kivio, kontour, karbon</p>

on others doing it - do it yourself! ;-)</p>
</quote>

concerning the security information included in the proposal:</p>

<quote who="Nicolas Goutte">

of those</p>
</quote>

href="mailto:zander@planescape.com">Thomas Zander</a> replied:</p>

<quote who="Thomas Zander">
begin with).  The document that uses the mime-type is a zip; so basically
you can include any executable/shell script virus in there as you want.
The statement that it does not introduce extra security concerns it therefor
complete.</p>

on the question of using any scripts or other possible virii like code in the
archive we keep and always will have the statement that we believe in seperation
of document-data and executable-data. We will never allow something to be
executed when it (or its container) is marked as document data.</p>
</quote>

just sent the mime type reg's to ietf-types@iana.org for a two-week \
review.</quote></p>

</section>