List:       kc-kde
Subject:    [kc-kde] replacement of article
From:       Juergen Appel <predator1710 () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-12-10 22:03:44

plz replace the article "KDE 2 & 3 - And the weapon of choice" with this. it
contains a fixed tag, and another alternative for kde3 cvs. thx.
["kc 08.12.01 add.xml" (text/html)]

<section
     title="KDE 2 & 3 - And the weapon of choice"
     author="Juergen Appel"
     email="valiant@web.de"
     subject="[Kde-edu-devel] KDE2+3 from cvs HowTo"
     archive="archive location of the first post of the thread"
     posts="2"
     startdate="Sat, 8 Dec 2001 11:32:26 +0000"
     enddate="Mon, 10 Dec 2001 02:56:56 -0800 (PST)"

A new how-to for running KDE 2 and KDE 3 from cvs is online, written
by <a href="mailto:annma@kde.org">Anne-Marie Mahfouf</a>:<quote who=Anne-Marie Mahfouf>

I wrote a HowTo have KDE3 from cvs running smoothly with KDE2 tutorial and
you can find it at <a href="http://women.kde.org/projects/coding/kde2+3.html">

This is done by creating a new user (named kde3) and when logging in as this
user, you get to the KDE3 system. This differs slightly from the other method
on the kde website. Personnally, I used my method for KDE1+2 and I find that
easy.<br />
The only drawback is that you have to log in and out to switch between KDE2
and 3.<br /><br />

Hope it'll be useful!</quote><br />
<quote who=Primoz Anzur>In the file called .xinitrc, somewhere in the last
lines goes:<br />
exec $WINDOWMANAGER  <-- this will execute the command
for your desktop... We have to replace this with just:<br />
exec path_to_your_kde3_dir/bin/startkde<br />
^this will switch to the KDE environment ONLY....<br /><br />

when you boot up, this will start run your current
KDE2  session, because things in the PATH... To go
around this, just write a shell script, that goes:<br /><br />

>>begin kde3.sh <<<br />
export QTDIR=path_to_your_Qt3_dir<br />
export KDEDIR=path_to_your_KDE3_dir<br />
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$KDEDIR/lib<br />
export<br />
PATH=$QTDIR/bin:KDEDIR/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:path_to_your_X11R6_dir/bin<br />
startx<br />
>>end kde3.sh <<<br /><br />

Well... This is about it... You don't need to create
another user or relogin.  A simple script.</quote><br />
Now it's up to you to choose your way of using the lastest development version of KDE.
</section>