List:       kbuild-devel
Subject:    [kbuild-devel] Re: kbuild-2.5 and CML2 question/proposal.
From:       Keith Owens <kaos () ocs ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-11-30 23:15:53

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:10:41 +0100,
Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@dplanet.ch> wrote:
>.config should depends in all [Cc]onfig.in.
>kbuild-2.4 and 2.5 seem not to take these dependencies.
>
>It solves no problems, but it is IMHO a nice features.
>[Lately I did see anymore problems of people not calling
>make oldconfig after a patch].

I thought about that when writing kbuild 2.5 and could not decide if it
was a good idea or not.  On the one hand, new config entries default to
'n' (in .config, but not config.out) so forgetting to make *config
should be fail safe.  On the other hand, there is an argument that the
user actions should be checked to catch beginner mistakes.  On the
gripping hand, people who "know" that the patch has no affect on their
config will complain if they are forced to make *config.

I can easily program kbuild 2.5 to detect a change to [Cc]onfig.in or
CML2 rules.  The question is whether it should look for changes and
should it issue a warning and continue or insist that make *config be
run.  Opinions?  No cc please.