List:       kbuild-devel
Subject:    Re: [kbuild-devel] kbuild-2.5 and CML2 question/proposal.
From:       Giacomo Catenazzi <cate () dplanet ! ch>
Date:       2001-11-30 12:47:38

Keith Owens wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:27:25 +0100,
> Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@dplanet.ch> wrote:
>
>>In kbuild-2.5 is it possible to implement a full CML2 dependencies
>>support?
>>In other words:
>>1) Eric: could you creadte a tool for CML2 similar
>>   to gcc -MM, to feed it to kbuild-2.5?
>>2) Keith: could you automatically run oldconfig if one of
>>   the above 'dependencies' is taken?
>>

> What are you trying to achieve here, which problem needs to be solved?
> kbuild 2.5 already does full dependency checking.

E.g. using CML1:
.config should depends in all [Cc]onfig.in.
kbuild-2.4 and 2.5 seem not to take these dependencies.

It solves no problems, but it is IMHO a nice features.
[Lately I did see anymore problems of people not calling
make oldconfig after a patch]. With this feature (kbuild2.5
check always that config.out is update), it is less probable to
have a cryptic bug report, because missmatch of config.out and
source.
IMHO with kbuild-2.5 and multiple sources, this problem can
arise more frequently

	giacomo