List:       kbuild-devel
Subject:    [kbuild-devel] Re: CML 1.9.0 menuconfig loop
From:       "Eric S. Raymond" <esr () thyrsus ! com>
Date:       2001-11-27 18:11:26

Keith Owens <kaos@ocs.com.au>:
> I got a loop in CML2 1.9.0 make menuconfig on a minimal config.out
> created by CML2 make oldconfig.  The end of the debug shows
>
>     is_visible(watchdog) called
>     watchdog not visible, ancestor WATCHDOG false
>     is_visible(kernelhacking) called
>     kernelhacking not visible, kernelhacking guard WIZARD is false
> MenuBrowser.selected(): at 0, object=@135356244, 0
> MenuBrowser.selected(): at 0, object=@135356244, 0
> MenuBrowser.pop(): stack is empty.MenuBrowser.push(): pushing [arch]=@138701756, selection=arch
> MenuBrowser.push(): selection set to 0
> MenuBrowser.push(): pushed [arch]=@138701756->1, selection=0, viewbase=0
> MenuBrowser.selected(): at 0, object=@138701756, 0
> MenuBrowser.selected(): at 0, object=@138701756, 0
> MenuBrowser.down(): at level=0, object=@138701756, old selection=0, new selection = 0, new base = 0
> MenuBrowser.selected(): at 0, object=@138701756, 0
> MenuBrowser.selected(): at 0, object=@138701756, 0
> MenuBrowser.down(): at level=0, object=@138701756, old selection=0, new selection = 0, new base = 0
> MenuBrowser.selected(): at 0, object=@138701756, 0
> MenuBrowser.selected(): at 0, object=@138701756, 0
>
> And it loops.  config.out and debug attached.  The loop occurs with or
> without kbuild 2.5.  This command works
>
>   /usr/bin/python2 -O scripts/cmlconfigure.py -t -B 2.4.16 -I config.out  rules.out
>
> This one loops
>
>   /usr/bin/python2 -O scripts/cmlconfigure.py -c -DX86 -B 2.4.16 -i config.out rules.out

Weird.  I can't reproduce this -- and there seems to be something very wacked
about your CML2 installation.  The debug log claims that many symbols with
help entries are invisible because they lack help entries (!)...

I'll stare at that debug log some more...

Courage is resistance of fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.