List:       kbuild-devel
Subject:    [kbuild-devel] RFC: get_version.sh
From:       Giacomo Catenazzi <cate () math ! ethz ! ch>
Date:       2001-08-24 1:21:02

Hello.

Finally I've done the get_version.sh script, to get the version
of build tools.
(Really it exists already a script of this form, but this
script put versions in a CML2 format (instead of the user friendly
format).

This version is still preliminary (I test only some utils)

Features:

- It detects and prints version of the main utils
- It detects also if there are GNU utils
  e.g. of output:

    CONFIG_GCC=y
    CONFIG_GCC_VERSION=2.95.2
    CONFIG_GNU_MAKE=y
    CONFIG_MAKE_VERSION=3.79.1
    CONFIG_GNU_LD=y
    CONFIG_LD_VERSION=2.9.5
    CONFIG_LINUX_LSMOD=y
    CONFIG_MODUTILS_VERSION=2.3.11
    CONFIG_UTIL_LINUX=y
    CONFIG_UTIL_LINUX_VERSION=2.10f
    CONFIG_E2FS=y
    CONFIG_E2FS_VERSION=1.18

  I have modified some detections so that it doesn't require
  (when possible) su privileges.

- Added a --debug mode: it print more info:

    --- package: gcc ---
    Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.2/specs
    gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)

    CONFIG_GCC=y
    CONFIG_GCC_VERSION=2.95.2
    (...)
    --- package: pcmcia-cs ---
    get_versions.sh: cardmgr: command not found

  This give me more help to improve the detection of non-std
  program/version, and I think it could be used also for normal kernel
  bug reports.

- Separate detection for --target (run-time) and for host (--build)
  (building) utils.
  Default (without --target or --build options): it will detect both utils.

Because of the script name (and because it didn't existed before) I add
also a --kernel option, to give user (scripts?) informations on actual
kernel version in a more machine readable format: no more '-preX '-acY',
but actually a complete numerical string (comparabla also as a normal
ASCII string).

The script get_version.sh is in:
http://people.debian.org/~cate/files/kautoconfigure/autoconfigure/working/
(like the newer version of my autodetection utility, update: 2.4.9)

	giacomo