List:       kalyxo-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kalyxo-devel] Trying bleeding edge KDE;
From:       Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-10-05 2:26:39

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 09:14 pm, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> Gary Cramblitt wrote:
> > As for the "bleeding edge", info here
> >
> > http://www.kde.org/info/3.5beta1.php
> >
> > Your best bet is probably to use Konstruct.
>
> If I use Konstruct, do I lose the ability to use any deb-packaged apps that
> rely upon KDE? And, how do I get to start the X server and kdm, without a
> deb package for kdm?

I have KDE 3.4.1 installed from alioth as my basic system, and start that as
my basic user.  I created a separate user account (kde-devel) for building
and running the "bleeding edge" (3.5) KDE.  I usually start the 3.5 apps from
a konsole after "su - kde-devel".  The ~/.bashrc file for kde-devel has
commands like this so that 3.5 is installed and run from a separate
directory:

if [ "$KDEDIR" != "/home/share/kde-unstable" ]; then
  QTDIR=/home/share/src/kde/branches/qt/3.3/qt-copy
  KDEDIR=/home/share/kde-unstable
  KDEDIRS=/home/share/kde-unstable
  PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$KDEDIR/lib/kde3:$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  export QTDIR KDEDIR KDEDIRS KDEHOME PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
fi

if [ "$DISPLAY" = "" ]; then
    export DISPLAY=:0.0
fi

and I source .bashrc from ~/.bash_profie:

# include .bashrc if it exists
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
    . ~/.bashrc
fi

As you can see, the "prefix" I use when building 3.5
is /home/share/kde-unstable.  (I don't actually use Konstruct.  Since I'm a
developer, I download from svn and build, but the principle is the same.
When you run Konstruct, I think it installs to user $HOME directory by
default, but check the docs that come with Konstruct.)

Note, you may have to do "xhost +local" to allow kde-devel to run apps in the
X11 started from the basic user account.

I have also configured Linux to boot to runlevel 2 and manually start KDE
using "startx".  This way, I can login as my basic user, and "startx" will
start KDE 3.4.1, or I can login as kde-devel and "startx" will start KDE 3.5.

You won't be able to install .debs that depend upon KDE 3.5 debs, since you
didn't install 3.5 debs, however, since there aren't many 3.5 debs in the
first place, you won't find that to be a problem.

Hope this helps.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer