List:       kalyxo-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kalyxo-devel] Backporting method?
From:       Patrick Dreker <patrick () dreker ! de>
Date:       2005-09-29 22:03:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Donnerstag, 29. September 2005 23.55 schrieb Mikhail Ramendik:
> Exactly what in that directory has to match? The dependencies from sid (and
> possibly the bugs from sid - somebody here said that kdm no longer starts
> the x server... although this may really be wrong) are in that directory
> too.
the files in the debian directory are adapted to fit the corresponding
sources.

If one uses the Debian packaged sources from SID the debian dir inside those
sources are adapted to the same version, but the wrong distribution. If one
goes about the other way round, they are adapted for the right distribution,
but for the wrong sources version. As there may be packaging changes between
different source version experience tells me, it is simpler to use the SID
sources and adapt these, instead of trying to adapt the debian directory to
the new source version.

Especially since the long term goal for a backport is to be able to quickly
and safely follow new SID versions, as they come out (think security
fixes...)

> Question: are the .orig.tar.gz files in your backport the unmodified
> sources? They should be, but just to make sure. I think I'll ask a frend
> with unlimited traffic to get that backport, but I might try a different
> approach using the same sources. But then, if a strongly tested backport
> will exist soon anyway, I'd better not waste effort on another.
These are the sources, as apt-get source delivers. These should be the
original KDE sources, as they are picked up by the maintainer before he build
the packages, but I have not verified this. Patches against the sources can
be found in the diff.gz file, which apt-get delivers.

Patrick
--
Patrick Dreker

GPG KeyID  : 0xFCC2F7A7 (Patrick Dreker)
Fingerprint: 7A21 FC7F 707A C498 F370  1008 7044 66DA FCC2 F7A7
Key available from keyservers