List:       juniper-nsp
Subject:    [j-nsp] SRX 3400 IPSec Performance question/advice needed
From:       The Hawk via juniper-nsp <juniper-nsp () puck ! nether ! net>
Date:       2023-02-24 17:11:42

Hello Community,

I was hoping to get some advice on something.

I'm doing some tests on an old SRX3400 cluster in our lab and I'm noticing that IPSec \
performance on the SRX3400 is horrible.

As per documentation it talks about 8G - 10G of IPSec performance.

I've done tests with 3des-md5, 3des-sha1, aes128-sha1,aes256-sha256.

It seems that aes128-sha1, aes256-sha256 perform best, but even in those \
circumstances the performance is minimal (approximately 150Mbps on the download and \
about 350Mbps on the upload).

I'm doing this test between 2 SRX3400's, I've also done it from a Fortigate 60F to \
the SRX 3400 and both yield the same results.

At first I thought that the SPU wasn't being engaged and that the RE is trying to \
handle the IPSec but I checked and it seems that there is traffic through the SPU \
when IPSec traffic is pushed through.  I've also enabled ipsec acceleration on the \
flow (without rebooting the chassis) and it made no difference (not sure if reboot is \
required).

Any suggestions that one can offer me?  I speculate that I'm missing some \
"optimization" command that should engage the ASIC better.

PS.  I'm running the latest version of the SRX 12.3x48 code.
PS2. I am only running 1x SPU in the chassis and I was thinking of maybe installing \
additional SPUs to see if it helps.. (but based on documentation, a single SPU should \
handle about 8Gbps of throughput... while adding a second should increase that \
further).  TBH, I'm not looking to do more than 1G... but I wanted to see 1G \
performance at least.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Adrian