List:       juddi-dev
Subject:    Bug: Heap Memory Usage
From:       Jeremi Thebeau <juddi () xceptance ! com>
Date:       2009-07-27 10:23:50

Forgot the attachment. Sorry.

Jeremi

--

Thanks Kurt,

I ran the same test on the Snapshot. Results are attached.

Basically, the memory usage seems to be much better (see
MemUsage10users.png).

Unfotunately, it took a while before I could run a decent length load
test because this version would lock up after a while. It locked up
faster under bigger loads. I started at 30 users and kept lowering the
number of users and lengthening the ramp up time. Finally I got 10 users
with a 2mins ramp up time to run for over an hour before juddi locked up
(results attached).

I took stack trace dumps throughout the run (attach in stackOutputs
directory). Stack trace 12 and later are post lock up. Before the system
locks up, the http-8080-?? threads seem to cycle through RUNNABLE,
BLOKED, TIMED_WAITING, and WAITING states (not necessarily in that
order). Afterwards, all threads are "WAITING (on object monitor)".

Next, I will run separate "register business" and "find business" tests
next to see which one is locking up.

Jeremi

Kurt T Stam wrote:
> Hi Jeremi,
>
> I have uploaded a new portal bundle snapshot based on Hibernate. From
> what Jeff could see this does not seem to have the memory leak. We
> will investigate more why OpenJPA exhibits the leak, but this build
> should unblock you at least.
>
> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/juddi/juddi-portal-bundle/3.0.0.SNAPSHOT/juddi-portal-bundle-3.0.0.20090723.201427-7.zip \
>

> Cheers,
>
> --Kurt
>

> Jeremi Thebeau wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I ran a load test comprising of 30 virtual user continuously
> > executing a the following senario on a jUDDI node:
> >
> > - publish a business to the node with a unique name;
> > - publish a random number of services (>0 but <8) under that business;
> > - and search for the newly published business name.
> >
> > This was supposed to run for two hours but the application crashed
> > after 1h 46m. As can be seen in the attached jconsole screenshot, the
> > heap memory usage goes up almost linearly during the load test until
> > it hit the maximum alloted memory, 1G (inserted 'export
> > JAVA_OPTS=-Xmx1024m' in startup.sh). Then, it hung around one gig as
> > the request's response times got longer and longer as can be seen in
> > the attached XLT report at about 11:25 (go to 'Requests' via the
> > navigation drop down in the top right corner,  most easily seen on
> > the 'Averages' graphs). Eventually, I started getting
> > 'java.lang.Exception: GC overhead limit exceeded' and
> > 'java.lang.Exception: Java heap space' exceptions (stacktraces can be
> > seen under 'Errors' in the XLT report) and the application crashed.
> >
> > Also attached is the testcase used
> > (TRegisterBusinessWithServices.java) and the actions called under it.
> >
> > Jeremi Thebeau
> > QA Engineer/Consultant
> > Xceptance GmbH

["20090724-164428_jUDDI_10users.zip" (application/zip)]