List:       juddi-dev
Subject:    Pruning committers and pmc members
From:       "Davanum Srinivas" <davanum () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-07-05 5:15:19

Folks,

Believe it or not! we have 230 people who have karma to our svn:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/

Out of these only about 74 people have made commits in the last 1
year. You can get this info by using the svn log:
svn log -v --revision 2006-07-05:HEAD
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/

I'd like to start a process of pruning both the committer list and the
pmc members list. As am sure some of the pmc members have not been
active recently either as i alluded to you in the prev email about the
board report.

Here's something i came up with. Basically i will add a text file in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/admin which will have the
names of all the committers and an option right next to their name
with Y/N and question being would you like to keep your commit rights.
Example.

dims              [Y/N]

I can pre-fill this to Y for everyone who have made commits in the
last 1 year to reduce work for already active people. At the end of
say 2 weeks from kicking off the process, we will collect the final
tally and prune the svn karma to those who chose to edit the file. If
someone missed the deadline or want to get back karma say in a couple
of months, they can send a quick email to the pmc (private AT
ws.apache.org) and one of us can add it right back.

How about we use the same process for PMC members too? I can add
another file for pmc members and here i will not prefill anyones
option. All PMC members have to edit the file and modify the option
next to their name. At the end, same 2 weeks, we can declare those who
did not choose to be active as Emeritus. For PMC members, there is a
higher threshold, if one of the Emeritus members want to get back into
the game, they will have to drop an email and we will hold a vote.
This is because, we need to notify the board for *every* pmc member
change and there are legal implications and a higher threshold.

Sounds good? comments?

thanks,
dims