List:       jpackage-discuss
Subject:    Re: [JPackage-discuss] Installation questions
From:       Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-06-20 19:11:43

I'm the author of the updates, which are not large. I'm trying (though
not urgently) to gain CVS access to the repository to post my updates.

I've posted the relevant .spec files before: I could repost them, or
post them as patches. The updates are:

	java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.20-0.el5.nosrc.rpm  - Very modest .spec file
changes to update to 1.6.0.20.
	java-1.6.0-sun-compat-1.6.0.20-0.el5.src.rpm - Very modest .spec
files to update to 1.6.0.20.

	jpackage-utils-compat-el5-0.0.2-1.el5.src.rpm - provides
./usr/bin/rebuild-security-providers, necessary to avoid
jpackage-utils craziness from RHEL
        eclipse-ecj-3.3.1.1-4.jpp.src.rpm - provides overrode for
RedHat's "eclipse-ecj" package, which Obsoletes: the ecj package from
JPackage and should be discarded.

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Sixten Otto <himself@sfko.com> wrote:
> I'm reading the JPackage installation instructions at
> http://www.jpackage.org/installation.php, and had two questions:
>
> 1. Those instructions are very emphatic about installing
> jpackage-utils before installing a JDK. Why is this? If the JDK were
> installed first, and then the utils package, what should I expect to
> go wrong / not work?
>
> 2. It appears that the Sun -compat RPMs are severely out of date.
> Sun's up to 1.6.0_20, while the FTP site linked from the instructions
> (ftp://jpackage.hmdc.harvard.edu/JPackage/5.0/generic/RPMS.non-free/)
> shows only 1.6.0.03 from 2008. That also appears to be the latest
> version in the package browser
> (http://www.jpackage.org/browser/rpm.php?jppversion=5.0&id=489).
>
> A message on this list from last Friday
> (https://www.zarb.org/pipermail/jpackage-discuss/2010-June/014125.html)
> leads me to believe that the updated information exists somewhere, but
> not in the project's actual repositories. Is there any other place I
> could get those files?
>
> I guess that also implies a post-installation question: if I get this
> all sorted out, what would happen if Sun released a 1.6.0_21, and we
> installed it? Should I expect that things would blow up if the -compat
> package were not also upgraded? (I'm not really clear on how much
> stuff that package actually installs, or if it's just a placeholder to
> make the dependencies of other stuff resolve.)

It depends on which "java-*" toolkit you use. The
"java-1.6.0-sun-compat" toolkit is matched to the JDK release, so
you'd ideally update that with your JDK. RPM will complain and
possibly block you if you don't update that with your JDK.

The the "java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.20" package *provides* the JDK 1.6.0_20
binaries, merely packaged more sanely. It's not necessary or
appropriate to install this as well as the JDK RPM and the
java-1.6.0-sun-compat RPM.