List:       jpackage-discuss
Subject:    Re: [JPackage-discuss] James & Apache-DS, was Tomcat Jpackage
From:       Deepak Bhole <dbhole () redhat ! com>
Date:       2006-10-26 17:52:12

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 09:45 -0700, Ole Ersoy wrote:
> Hey Deepak,
>
> Let me make sure I understand.
>
> When creating the RPM we specify
> BuildRequires: blahblahpackage >= 1.7
>
> And in Maven we specify:
>
> <dependency>
> 		<groupId>blahblahgroupId</groupId>
> 		<artifactId>blahblahpackage</artifactId>
> 		<version>1.7</version>
> </dependency>
>
> So with RPM, any package satisfying the >= 1.7
> constraint can be used, but with Maven
> it better be 1.7.
>
> So if all the dependencies are built by Maven as well,
> we just generate the corresponding RPM per their build
> processes, but if there are dependencies built using
> something other than Maven, then we would have to
> create the exact corresponding RPM?

Actually, the jpp maven version is going to be a slightly modified one.
It will introduce a "mvn-jpp" command that will facilitate using system
installed jars. Since JPackage builds must be offline and reproducible
by users, they will have to stick to using whatever rpm does (i.e. 1
version per package)

> I'd have to check whether Maven supports version
> ranges...seems like a fairly simple thing to
> implement...

Maven does support this, but changing all packages will be necessary in
that case.

> Although - Package build constraints that allow
> ranges...It does provide flexibility, but is that a
> good thing?
>
> Personally I like to know precisely what versions are
> being used.
>
> It's a lot tighter.

True. But until a resolution is reached on how to allow rpm to install
and track multiple versions of the same package, it will not be possible
for us to build against specific versions :/

> wdyt?

Anyways, I don't think it will be that much of a hassle. As Ralph
pointed out, some dev effort will be needed to make this work with
jpackage, but shouldn't be too bad (atleast not this particular aspect).
I just brought up the concern because it is one of the things we need to
be aware of.

Cheers,
Deepak