List:       jornada
Subject:    [jornada] Re: freezes...
From:       Andreas Mohr <andi () rhlx01 ! fht-esslingen ! de>
Date:       2006-11-07 22:30:28

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 10:45:24AM -0500, jornada-request@handhelds.org wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 12:59:19 -0000
> From: "Michael Blatt" <michael.blatt@gmail.com>
> Subject: [jornada] freezes...
> To: <jornada@handhelds.org>
>
> Which makes me think, since we were talking about the amount of RAM on the
> machine:
>
> I have a J720 with 32MB RAM, and, well, OPIE and apps do run out of memory
> on a regular basis.

[...]

> Anyone with any idea how this could be done, or whether there is an
> alternative?

Yup, there is an alternative:

Work on getting Compressed Caching (http://linuxcompressed.sourceforge.net/ ,
it's mainly used to reduce memory consumption with OLPC models)
up to a point where it's fully stable for mainline inclusion.

This would preferrably be done on an x86 development box, then once it's
finished one would hopefully be able to compile an embedded kernel for
Jornada.

Andreas Mohr