List:       jmeter-user
Subject:    Re: Performance of Jmeter itself
From:       Adrian Speteanu <asp.adieu () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-07-16 12:22:30

How JMeter sends requests is explained in the online documentation and you
have a correct understanding of that. Without any timers and controllers
impacting throughput and wait periods, each thread will attempt another
request as soon as it receives the response from it's previous request!

This becomes a problem only in the case of resource starvation, a large
thread pool for example will add to the operations that a CPU has to
perform and threads that don't receive processor time will obviously have
to wait until they do. It's also a false positive, sometimes, in the case
of applications with large response times per request. For example, we've
ran into a known issue of the Apache server at one point and every
hundredth request or so was experiencing large response times (from 0.5s of
the 90% percentile to 40+ seconds). Obviously, we first noticed that "not
all threads were active" - a false assumption given by the fact that we
were performing less requests per second than we were expecting. With a low
number of active threads in a test, this becomes an issue that keeps a
thread apparently "inactive" (in terms of requests sent, as the thread is
very much alive and functioning properly) for as long as it takes for the
server to respond. But requests are generated sequentially and that thread
needs to wait for the response to arrive completely before proceeding. This
is covered in the response times though, so you should be able to see when
something unusual is going on.

So try experimenting without that plugin and see if you have issues that
are related to the plugin, behaviour should be similar. What I try to do
when I'm experiencing bad behaviour from the server, I increase the thread
pool available and use the Constant Throughput Timer to generate a constant
rate of requests per minute.

Cheers,
Adrian S