List:       jmeter-user
Subject:    Re: Recording Test Plan with Http Proxy server for regression tests
From:       sebb <sebbaz () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-11-30 0:02:21

On 29 November 2011 22:28, Fabio Rodrigues <frodrig@combined.com.au> wrote:
> sebb <sebbaz <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> On 29 November 2011 05:04, Fabio Rodrigues <frodrig <at> combined.com.au=
>
> wrote:
>> > I have been using Jmeter to do some regression tests on the server-sid=
e.

>> > I=92ve set up http proxy server and test plan (accordingly to apache w=
eb site
>> > step-by-step instructions), so that I can record all requests and play=
-
> back,
>> > all great so far.
>> >
>> > However, I have to keep the Jmeter GUI opened and click on File/Save t=
> save
>> > the test plan manually, because it doesn=92t flush to the test plan fi=
le
>> > automatically.
>> >
>> > Considering the non-gui JMeter parameter is only when playing a record=
ed
> test
>> > plan:
>> >
>> > + Is there anything I can do to make Jmeter flushes the requests to th=
> test
>> > plan file straightaway whilst recording?
>> >
>> > There are 20 users testing the application with their browsers pointin=
g to
>> > this Jmeter Proxy server, at the end of the day it wouldn=92t be great=
, if
> for
>> > any reason, I can=92t save those requests.
>>
>> The JMeter Proxy server was originally designed for use with a single
>> browser (though of course that can make parallel requests).
>> As such, generally the person running the browser also runs the JMeter
>> Proxy and can save the test plan as needed.
>>
>> Also, JMeter does not distinguish the source of the browser requests,
>> so the requests from different testers will be intermingled in the
>> test plan.
>>
>> In general, this won't work on replay unless all the requests are
>> completely independent of each other.
>>
>> In any event, the resulting test plan is likely to be very large and
>> difficult to understand and maintain.
>>
>> I would suggest using some other kind of recording proxy - or the
>> server logs - to establish what needs to be tested and the relative
>> request frequencies, and then use that to generate and parameterise a
>> test plan.
>>
>> > Regards,

>> > For additional commands, e-mail: user-help <at> jmeter.apache.org
>> >

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I am much more interested in the many users' "requests ordering", so I wa=
nt
> them intermingled, it is also allright to playback this test plan as a si=
ngle
> user (as a testplan user), so likely I will set variables to establish th=
> current user as "testplan" user.

As already explained, I don't think mingling the requests from the
different users will work in general.
Frequently one sample depends on some information - or state - from
the previous sample.

> It is a regression test, so pretty much we will compare databases, follow=
ing
> this steps:
>
> 1) backup test data base;
> 2) start jmeter with http proxy server to recording requests from about 2=
0
> users;
> 3) at the end of a day, stop jmeter;
> 4) restore database to regression test database;
> 5) playback the testplan pointing it to the regression test application s=
erver;

As I already explained, almost certainly this won't work.

> 6) compare the databases (test X regression test)
>
> I am not concerned about the users timestamp here, I want to see whether
> functionalities worked fine and it results in the same records state.
>
> However, I want to start jmeter and the Http proxy server by command line
> (shell script) and flush the test plan automatically.

Not possible currently, and very unlikely to be added to JMeter for
the reasons already explained.

> Any ideas?

See above; I don't think it will work in general.