List:       jmeter-user
Subject:    Re: Populating a csv and reading a random column from it
From:       Felix Frank <ff () mpexnet ! de>
Date:       2010-11-18 17:12:13

On 11/11/2010 10:55 AM, J.E.C.Brisland wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Here is what I want to do. (Please bear with me... I have a hard time trying to put \
> my thoughts into words)
> I have a whole bunch of forum discussions, and posts within those discussions.
>
> What I want to do is populate a CSV with the id's of the discussions and posts \
> information.
> What I then want to do is have a thread in that is controlled with a throughput \
> controller to make new discussions or replys to current posts using a random id \
> from either the posts or discussions csv. (It will randomly either make a new post \
> or reply to one that already exists)
> I did initially have a thread that looked at the discussions page, found a random \
> discussion using a regex, then found a random post within that discussion to make a \
> reply to, but because this was controlled by a throughput controller this made the \
> process too slow.

The Timer is not at fault. If the process is too slow because of the
Timer, configure it for a higher throughput (see below).

If Jmeter cannot extract the regexes fast enough, well, that is not a
Timer problem either.

> From what I can understand this is how the throughput controller works
>
> I have 60 users in the reply thread group (ramping up one per second)
>
> The first user fires a request to find a random discussion (1 of my 2 requests per \
> minute) During the next 30 seconds half of the user threads are fired up... they \
> also go to do a request to get a random discussion, but cannot because of the \
> throughput controller.

This statement makes me believe you're using the Timer wrongly.

If each and every thread should make 2 requests per minute, tell the
Timer so. Set it to calculate throughput based on "This thread only".

This way, 60 users will make 120 requests per minute in total.

> Next one of the newly started user threads is able to make a request to find a \
> random discussion
> It seems to me that it is never able to get onto actually doing a posts as there \
> are enough users in this thread group to saturate it with just finding a discussion \
> id / post id
> Basically for me to control how many posts are made per second I have to have a \
> dedicated thread that just does the form posting, and another thread that gets the \
> data and stores it in a csv file so that the thread doing the form posting can get \
> some random data out.
> Here is the setup I currently have
>
> Reply Thread Group
> -- ThroughPut Controller - 2 per minute (all active threads in current thread group \
> (shared))

Why? See above.

> -- Find Random Discussion (HTTP Request to main forum page w/regex to find \
>                 discussion id)
> -- Find Random Post (HTTP Request to discussion page w/regex to find post id)
> -- View Random Post Form (HTTP Request to reply form page w/regex to forum details \
>                 like user id, draft flag etc)
> -- Post Reply Form (HTTP Request to reply form page w/post data)
>
> Here is the setup I think I need
>
> Data Thread Group
> -- ThroughPut Controller - 10 per minute (all active threads in current thread \
> group (shared)) Loop through all discussions
> Loop through all posts
> Write data to CSV with discussion/post info for the Reply thread group to use
>
> Reply Thread Group
> -- ThroughPut Controller - 2 per minute (all active threads in current thread group \
>                 (shared))
> -- Post Reply Form (HTTP Request to reply form page w/random post data from csv \
> file)
>
> I'm sorry that this is such a long email... I just wish I had someone in my \
> workplace that actually understood jMeter, instead of being the guinea pig trying \
> to make scripts work.

I noticed you solved this, but I'd like to know what the
misunderstanding was here...

Cheers,
Felix