List:       jmeter-user
Subject:    Re: Throughput Question
From:       sebb <sebbaz () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-11-21 21:27:02

On 21/11/2007, Modha Khammammettu <MKhammammettu@calcas.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I think I will need some clarity before I can sure of my understanding.
>
> From the data in Summary Report at
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p13746933/ScreenHunter_125.gif
>
> Questions:
>
> * Total hits to the server from this test = Total # Samples = 26
> (TRUE/FALSE if FALSE can you please explain)

True, assuming:
- test completed normally
- all samplers are in the scope of the Listener (i.e. the listener can
see all the the samples)

> * Is there a place where I can find for exactly how long the test ran?

The jmeter.log file will show when the test starts and finishes.

The overall elapsed time is not shown on any current Listeners.

It can be calculated from the JTL file provided that the start and
elapsed times are logged.

> * Send Receive Throughput is 35.8/hr i.e. (Approx 1 request every
> 2minutes). Since the count is 5 in the # of samples can I conclude the
> test ran for approx 10 minutes?

No. All you can conclude is that the send/receive part of the test ran
for approx 10 mins.

> * StdDev is 5170ms. Can I conclude 68% (which I assume is 1 std dev) of
> samples took less than this time to complete?

No.

> * Does it mean that for 68% of samples the time it took from generating
> a request - time it took to get response is less than or equal to 5170ms

No. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

> * It makes sense when I measure throughput in Requests/second. What does
> it mean (Kb/sec column) Is it the amount of data that got through the
> wires per that request?

Rather than counting requests/second, it counts bytes per second.