List:       jibx-devs
Subject:    [jibx-devs] future of Xsd2Jibx tool
From:       Cameron Taggart <cameron.taggart () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-03-18 19:56:55

The Java community needs a good library for programatically creating
Java Source code.  I used JaxMe JavaSource library for Xsd2Jibx
(http://ws.apache.org/jaxme/js/index.html).  It worked OK, but I'm
looking for something better.  I'm looking at the Ecore model within
Eclipse's EMF project to see if it is can do what I want.  I want to
be able to generate source code the way I would write it.  My criteria
includes:

* handling imports correctly (e.g. like Eclipse ctrl+shift+o)
* putting instance variables at the top
* allowing annotation or at least comments
* configurable formatting would be nice (e.g. like Eclipse ctrl+shift+f)
* ablity to run it stanalone would be nice (without Eclipse), but not necessary
* doesn't produce stuff I don't want it too (it appears to me that EMF
may try to do more than I want it to)

As with any open source project, it is based on the needs and time of
its developers.  I developed Xsd2Jibx based on my needs at my previous
employer.  After transtioning jobs last summer, I haven't needed to
use it at work.  However, some new projects are coming down the
pipeline that would benefit from Xsd2Jibx or a similar tool, so I may
look into writing something better.

I thank Dennis for updating the tool and working out some several
kinks.  I have not had time to maintain it.  For the record, JiBX
itself rocks.  Sorry than Xsd2Jibx is a bit subpar.  Hopefully, we can
create something better.  I got a new XSD at work I would like to run
through it.

Cameron