List:       jfs-discussion
Subject:    Re: [Jfs-discussion] jfscommit high CPU usage when writing large
From:       Christian Kujau <lists () nerdbynature ! de>
Date:       2009-03-23 10:20:12

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009, Sandon Van Ness wrote:
> I really like JFS and have been using it on all my systems for the last
> couple years but I only have a single issue with it which is when I am
> doing large file writes (30GB+ files) jfscommit will start using 100%

Out of curiosity (and no offense to JFS, as I'm using it too), but when I
hear "large, contiguous files" I seem to remember that XFS is
believed to excel on this particular usecase.

> This isn't that big of a deal for me since Its very rare that I need to
> write files that large (usually only doing when dumps of my smaller
> partitions but I would like to know whats causing it.

Not really an answer to your question, but this came up last year on this
list as well, but as it wasn't as easily reproducible as in your case,
there wasn't much of an outcome:

  http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/5/20/1883444

Christian.
--
Albert Einstein wears Bruce Schneier pajamas