List:       jffnms-users
Subject:    [jffnms-users] Why is 0.9.0 delayed
From:       Craig Small <csmall () enc ! com ! au>
Date:       2011-04-12 4:11:47

Hi,
  As there have been two RC editions of 0.9.0 you might be wondering
where we are at with 0.9.0.  There really have been two problems.
The first is its the cold season here so while I've avoided it, others
haven't been so fortunate and that's taken time away.

The second is that the parent/child fork code within the engines has
always been a bit of a hack.  I cleaned up the child code dramatically
but now I'm getting processes hanging and unfinished jobs.

PHP version 5 has some better process handling which I'm starting to put
into the parent process. As and added bonus you also don't need to use a
shell (which consumes memory) for the child process.  The problem is I'm
halfway between the old and new so i get wierd things like the process
tree down the bottom.

Autodiscovery is right, but the pollers are lurking. When that gets
sorted, then 0.9.0 can get out.

cron
  |-cron
  |   `-sh -c cd $JFFNMS && $PHP -q consolidate-website.php
  |       `-php -q consolidate-website.php
  |-cron
  |   `-sh -c cd $JFFNMS && $PHP -q poller.php
  |       `-php -q poller.php
  |           |-(php)
  |           |-(php)
  |           |-(php)
  |           `-(php)
  `-cron
      `-sh -c cd $JFFNMS && $PHP -q autodiscovery_interfaces.php
          `-php -q autodiscovery_interfaces.php
              |-php -q iad_child.php 30
              `-php -q iad_child.php 30

--