List:       jffnms-users
Subject:    [jffnms-users] Cisco ESW-520 Physical Interfaces / snmp_interfaces
From:       Eric Wheeler <jffnms () ew ! ewheeler ! org>
Date:       2010-05-03 3:19:48

Hello all,

We have are using JFFNMS with a Cisco ESW-520-24 and are having a
challenge:

JFFNMS discovers all the Ethernet interfaces and adds them
appropriately.    The discovery agent (snmp_interface) even detects if a
port is up, down, or nonexistent.   If you run manual discovery against
the switch a second time, it recognizes the interfaces it has already
added and shows the 'edit' button to the left of the Ethernet interface.

As soon as the poller runs, all of the ports are flagged in an alarm
state: "Interface Ethernet Interface Protocol down (Customer) (Message
repeated 30 times)"

If I go back and do a manual discovery /after/ the poller has run, it
only recognizes the first interface in the system and the remaining 22
ports are listed with the option to add the interface to JFFNMS.  All of
the ports (and JFFNMS interfaces) appear to be named "Ethernet
Interface" except for one interface named "vlan".

My guess is that the poller is using the name for the index ("Ethernet
Interface" or "vlan") which is why discovery only shows the first
"Ethernet Interface" port and the "vlan" port as configured.

I'm using jffnms 0.8.5rc1 on CentOS 5.4.   I can provide read-only SNMP
access privately.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Eric