List:       jffnms-users
Subject:    Re: [jffnms-users] A whole series of questions
From:       csmall () enc ! com ! au (Craig Small)
Date:       2005-06-29 2:34:08

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 05:45:48PM +0100, Martin Beecroft wrote:
> We currently use Cisco 6500's in IOS mode, with a combination of router
> and switch ports, when I set auto-discovery to be be Standard, I get the
> router (Layer 3) ports.  If I set autodiscovery to be Standard (for
> switches) I get all the vlans and switch ports (Layer 2).  Is there
> someway of getting both from one setting?
I also have some 6509 but have standard for switches autodiscovery.
I just do a manual discovery when I add a port, it is part of our
activation.

> When I add a new host, after auto-discovery I get an event saying the
> interface has been discovered, I am not bothered by it, but is it normal?
Yes, standard for switches adds an interface when it comes up and
ignores the ones that are down.

> I am currently being bombarded (well once every half an hour) with
> events that one specific vlan is being modified, although it clearly
> isn't.  How can I track what is happening here?
It must be, otherwise it would not tell you.  However I guess it is not
being changed, so every half hour it is telling you something changed,
but not changing it for you.

The other questions I'm not sure of the answers.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.enc.com.au/   MIEE         Debian developer