List:       jetspeed-user
Subject:    Re: Jetspeed-2 Clustering
From:       David Sean Taylor <david () bluesunrise ! com>
Date:       2005-01-29 19:13:31

Andre Bonhote wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It's my first post, and I am completely new to Jetspeed, so bear with me
> please.
>
> The idea is to deploy a portal on n machines, where n is 4 at the
> moment. We would like to have some pretty load balancers in front of
> them, the boxes are located in two countries. As this is usual for good
> portals, the user/customer should not care about where he is.
>
> The jetspeed-2 installation will access an oracle 10 database. Now
> there's my question: Since it doesn't make sense (IMHO) to put the
> oracle beast on all the 4 machines, is it possible to have all 4
> jetspeed installations access the same database? Or even, the same
> tablespace? Or do I have to create users for each server?

I have clustered Jetspeed 1.6-dev and 1.5 in several installations.

Jetspeed-2 is not quite cluster ready, but I think it was designed much
better than Jetspeed-1 for clustering. Many of the components already
persist their state in a database, so therer is not a lot of need for
tweaking the implementations like we had to do in 1.6.

The plan is to work on clustering for the final release.

Current problems I see with Jetspeed-2 and clustering:

* PSML stored on the file system
* lots of use of the session
* cache synchronization on a number of components

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software