List:       jetspeed-user
Subject:    Re: jetspeed-newbie Roles-Groups-Users
From:       Randy Watler <rwatler () finali ! com>
Date:       2004-11-29 18:04:30

Marina,

There are two different Roles/Groups/Users domains in effect: Tomcat's
and Jetspeed's. Jetspeed has its own JAAS login/logout that is managed
separately from the global Tomcat configuration, (see jetspeed.xml for
the JAAS Realm definition). Configuration of Tomcat's Realm is only
necessary for running the manager/admin application to deploy portlet
webapps.

I am not sure why your Tomcat security configuration did not control
access to the Jetspeed application as a whole, (I am not an expert there
to say the least; I've never had to use that believe it or not).

To use the portlet security, you'll probably need to configure the
Jetspeed realm correctly or use the demo logins. Like I said, I am not
sure portlet security is implemented at this time, YMMV. See the
populate-userinfo-for-default-psml.sql script.

For page level security, see the demo psml pages under
jetspeed/WEB-INF/pages. No document on this stuff yet... it is very new
and still settling in.

I will mail a PDF version of the profiling document to you in few minutes.

Randy