List:       jetspeed-user
Subject:    Re: Some observations on jetspeed-2
From:       "Scott T. Weaver" <scotts-jetspeed-list () binary-designs ! net>
Date:       2004-09-24 14:14:16

webhiker@tiscali.fr wrote:

> Perhaps better suited for the developers list, but I didn't really
> want to subscribe there.
> Hopefully these comments will be of use to the developers in
> understanding from a user perspective some of the issues of the
> current development state of jetspeed-2.
>
> 1)Compared to jetspeed-1, the jetspeed-2 installation makes quite a
> mess of your application server, and pretty much renders it unusable
> for anything else you were planning to host in it.

Please define "mess."  There are six jars (two of which are optional)
that are copied to the shared/lib directory.  Not a single one of these
should conflict with any other jars since they are all part of the
Jetspeed project.  The only other modification is copying the
jetspeed.xml to con/Catalina/local host, which defines the DS we use for
our registry.  The only other thing I can think of is in Tomcat 5.x
there was a modification to JAAS that breaks any other app trying to use
their own JAAS implementation, so in this case we copy so patched
classes to  server/classes to fix this.

> While jetspeed-1 had a lovely simple war file to drop in/out,
> jetspeed-2 installs roughly 10 seperate servlets, none of which can be
> uninstalled by any targets I found in the maven build file.

The base build of Jetspeed 2 installs example portlets.  If you do not
want a portlet, delete its application war from WEB-INF/deploy and it
will be undeployed from Jetspeed 2 AND Tomcat.

> I always understood portlets were supposed to be run hosted in a
> Portlet server, so I don't really understand the need to publish all
> these servlets - they should be Portlets, and thus not visible from
> the application server perspective.

All portlet applications MUST also be available as web applications,
this is a requirement of the JSR-168 hence the reason for each portlet
application also being a deployed as web application.  I think you
should read the spec, especially PLT 3.1 and more specifically PLT 3.2
which says a portlet container environment must fully support the
Servlet 2.3 spec.  You should really do more research before you start
criticizing a project.  Building an application server that lives inside
another is no easy task, multiply that by our goal of being able to run
Jetspeed 2 inside any servlet container.  This is why J2 is relatively
more complicated when compared to J1.

> Hopefully this will be sorted out as we near a production version, and
> the install gets a bit more streamlined

> 2)Default install on clean jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28 give me the following
> errors right off the bat when accessing the index page::
>
> CNF: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.jetspeed.portlets.layout.MultiColumnPortlet:org.apache.jetspeed.portle
>

> ts.layout.MultiColumnPortlet
>

> 3)The "My First PSML Page"  accesible off the main guest screen gives
> me an immediate :
>
> Invocation of method 'getCurrentPortletEntity' in  class
> org.apache.jetspeed.velocity.JetspeedPowerTool threw exception class
> java.lang.NullPointerException : null
> org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of
> method 'getCurrentPortletEntity' in  class
> org.apache.jetspeed.velocity.JetspeedPowerTool threw exception class
> java.lang.NullPointerException : null
> at
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTIdentifier.execute(ASTIdentifier.java:193) \
>
> at
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.execute(ASTReference.java:175) \
>
> at
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.value(ASTReference.java:327)
>
> at
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTExpression.value(ASTExpression.java:51)
>
> at
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTSetDirective.render(ASTSetDirective.java:95) \
>
> at
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.SimpleNode.render(SimpleNode.java:230)
>
> at org.apache.velocity.Template.merge(Template.java:256)
> at
> org.apache.jetspeed.velocity.JetspeedVelocityViewServlet.mergeTemplate(JetspeedVelocityViewServlet.java:116) \
>
> at
> org.apache.velocity.tools.view.servlet.VelocityViewServlet.doRequest(VelocityViewServlet.java:455) \
>
> at
> org.apache.velocity.tools.view.servlet.VelocityViewServlet.doGet(VelocityViewServlet.java:411) \
>
> at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:689)
> at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)

This is probably due the failure to deploy the multicolumn portlet.  I
will need to install tomcat 5.0.28 to see if it is a version conflict or
just an issue with your specific environment.

> Strangley the "My Second PSML page" works with no problems.
>

> 4) The "Test Suite Page" tab has errors in each prtlet window, all
> complaining :
>
> org.apache.jetspeed.aggregator.FailedToRenderFragmentException: Unable
> to render fragment because:
> org.apache.jetspeed.container.window.FailedToRetrievePortletWindow:
> org.apache.jetspeed.container.window.FailedToCreateWindowException:
> Error generating new PortletEntity:
> org.apache.jetspeed.components.portletentity.PortletEntityNotGeneratedException:
> Failed to retrieve Portlet Definition for testsuite::TestPortlet1
>
> at
> org.apache.jetspeed.aggregator.impl.PortletRendererImpl.renderNow(PortletRendererImpl.java:172) \
>

> at
> org.apache.jetspeed.aggregator.impl.ContentDispatcherImpl.include(ContentDispatcherImpl.java:286) \
>

> at
> org.apache.jetspeed.velocity.JetspeedPowerTool.include(JetspeedPowerTool.java:552)

The testsuite portlets are not installed by default.  You need to
download and deploy them separately.

> 5)Logging in as user "jetspeed" with password "jetspeed" seems to
> work, but I am presented with a "Manager Role Page" titled window in
> which none of the tabs work. Although they appear to link correctly
> (for example to "jetspeed/portal/p002.psml"), the link itself
> always returns the default index page.
>
> 6)There is no way to log out of this non-functioning manager role
> page, since a)it probably won't work and b)no logout facility is
> provided.

Just click the logout link in the login portlet.

> I'm now going to repeat the process using Tomcat 4.28 and see what
> happens.
>
> Thanks
> wh

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss \
people."  - Admiral Hyman Rickover

*           Scott T. Weaver               *
*         <weaver@apache.org>             *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>        *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal     *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container      *
* OpenEditPro, Website Content Management *
*     <http://www.openeditpro.com>        *