List:       jetspeed-user
Subject:    Some questions
From:       "Byron Miller" <byron () eanut ! org>
Date:       2002-01-25 21:04:55

Hello,

I am trying to use Jetspeed to develop a portal with different sections using the \
"tabs" to seperate the portlets into common areas, like news, weather, forums and \
what not.  My question is that these tabs, even though defined by me are editable by \
the user, is there a way to lock the tabs as content areas?

My concern being i want to use the left navigation frame to have links to the same \
information available in the tabs as shortcuts.  If people modify there tabs then the \
laft navs are pretty much useless right?

Just wondering if there is a way to lock the tabs as well as specific portlets to a \
user/role or site level.  I want to provide customization to my users, but at the \
same time manage the interface.

Should i just develop the left nav to build like the tab button bar and render \
itself?

Or should i just run multiple copies of jetspeed for each content area?

This also goes back to the question about sorting the portlets according to the .xreg \
file they're defined in.  For example you could use feed_local.xreg with a \
description that shows up under the portlet tab as "local feeds" and then \
"feed_news.xreg" as "News feeds" and "feed_misc" as miscelaneous feeds.

Just wondering if that is doable.  I've asked a similar question before, but i don't \
see how to lock things down.