List:       jetspeed-user
Subject:    RE: jetspeed-config
From:       Chris Kimpton <kimptoc_mail () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-11-27 10:15:38

Hi,

--- "Wilson, Bob" <Bob.Wilson@americawest.com> wrote:
> Speaking of not needing jetspeed-conf.jcfg....
>
> I'm using nightly build 11-16-01 and I'm curious to know...do I
> need to
> download Velocity and install it to use with this latest build?

Nope.

> have
> never required it with prior versions before however now for some
> reason
> when I recompiled my personal portlets (eg. Hello World) and tried
> to add
> them...they show up in my portlets list BUT do not appear on my
> homepage
> once I have added them!?!?  Any ideas??  In order to use the latest
> builds
> what software/services do I need to have??  (Eg.  Ant, Velocity,
> Cocoon,
> etc.)

Java and tomcat - everything comes with in the jetspeed CVS.

If you are getting problems, it is possible that there is a bug or
that the core jetspeed has changed in a way that is not compatible
with your portlets... although I am not aware of any such changes to
the core jetspeed code.

> I have created the local-portlets.xreg to add this registry and the
> class
> file resides in the TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/classes
> directory.
> Looking in my jetspeed.log file I noticed that I'm getting (1) an
> ERROR
> Exception -- org.apache.jetspeed.portal.PortletException:
> PortletFactory:
> Unable to load class null

This looks like your problem - it seems to fail to find your class -
doh.

and (2) DEBUG -- Exception while
> retireving
> attribute _display for portlet PortletSetCustomizer  ---
> java.lang.NullPointerException.  I'm not entirely sure exactly what
> these
> errors mean but I think they refer to Jetspeed not being able to
> see my
> HelloWorldPortlet.class file??  Is this correct?  Anyone know what
> I'm doing
> wrong?

This second one is a "known feature" - but its not a problem and can
be safely ignored.

HTH,
Chris

=====