List:       jetspeed-user
Subject:    RE: How to send a parameter to a portlet?
From:       "David Sean Taylor" <david () bluesunrise ! com>
Date:       2001-05-21 2:39:21

For future reference, reference the portlet api (proposals/portletAPI), here
is a quote from it covering actions and action listeners:

"On top of the parameters, it is possible to add actions to a portlet URI.
Actions are portlet-specific activities that need to be performed as result
of the incoming request, but before the service() method of the portlet is
called. For example, the PERSONALIZE mode of the portlet is likely to have a
"Save" button at the end of its dialog. The "Save" button has to bring the
user back to the DEFAULT mode of the portlet, but to save the personalized
portlet data, the portlet needs to be able to process the posted data bfore
the next markup is generated. This can be achieved by adding a "Save" action
to the URI that represents the "Save" button. The respective listener is
attached the respective action listener to the portlet response. This
listener will be called when the next request comes and one of the portlet
URIs where the reason for the request. If more than one URI were part of the
response, the listener need to the check the action content. This depends on
the definition of the actual action which is the responsibility of the
portlet developer."

For now, your portlet can always check the posted parameters.
Or if you need something more customized, writing your own action should
handle it.