List:       jedit-users
Subject:    Re: [ jEdit-users ] [ jEdit-devel ] [ jedit-Feature Requests-918301
From:       Matthieu Casanova <chocolat.mou () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-12-09 16:07:20

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi Kazutoshi,
ok about reopening, in fact there are other tricks we can do.

For information I just tested text editors with a big xml file of 220MB,
3.3 million lines but no very long lines.

For the test I opened the file and moved to the end of the file (that's
what takes a lot of time)

Surprisingly, the fastest, by far was jEdit :

here are my results and observations.

jEdit took 2.9 seconds using the trick I untroduced a few months ago :
syntax is not aware of the context. This means that if the xml file starts
with <!-- then end of the buffer will not be highlighted as a comment.
This lead to a possibly wrong syntax highlight but is lightning fast

Emacs took 7 seconds. That's really good too, and it seems they use the
same trick as me, if the buffer starts with a comment, the end of the
buffer is not highlighted with a comment. They have a feature activated
that I had not : softwrap

sciTE took 13 seconds, and used context sensitive syntax, that's very fast.
But if you change the beginning of the file then go again to the end, it
will take 13 seconds again ...

UltraEdit took 18 seconds, and was not aware of the context

Vim took 53 seconds and it seems it was not aware of the context, that's
strange it is so slow.

Notepad++ was the worse, after 2 minutes he was still working so I gave up.

My other ideas about jEit and big files is first an option to remember the
choice (to not popup the windows about big files everytime)
Deactivate soft wrap since it is slow on big files
Deactivate syntax highlight for a single line if the line is too long. I
think it is better than no syntax highlight at all.

Matthieu