List:       jedit-users
Subject:    Re: [ jEdit-users ] Xilize2 beta release
From:       Andy Streich <andy () rushyglen ! com>
Date:       2005-12-12 23:07:30

On Monday 12 December 2005 02:11 pm, Jeroen Budts wrote:
> Andy Streich wrote:
> > If you are a user of the Xilize plugin or may be interested in a plugin
> > to generate XHTML from Textile-like markup, see
> > http://www.centeredwork.com/xilize2/download.html for the beta release of
> > Xilize v2.0 -- a big improvement from the current Xilize v0.9.
>
> Can Xilize also generate other formats? Like PDF, ODF and the evil ms
> office word format? That would be really cool. I have been searching for
> quite a while now for some tool with easy editing syntax which uses a
> wiki-like (or similar) syntax and can then automatically generate some
> different output formats, including pdf, odf and word... I'd love to be
> able to write all my documents in jedit :)
> (i already had a look at things like TeX and Docbook, but didn't seem to
> like them very much)

Sorry, Xilize leaves the presentation up to a web browser.  However, since it
does generate well-formed XHTML, you can use any number of tools to generate
PDF, ODF, etc. from that.

For example, see http://www.re.be/css2xslfo/:

"CSSToXSLFO is a utility which can convert an XML document, together with a
CSS2 style sheet, into an XSL-FO document, which can then be converted into
PDF, PostScript, etc. with an XSL-FO-processor. It has special support for
the XHTML vocabulary, because that is the most obvious language it would be
used for. The tool has a number of page-related extensions. It also comes
with an API in the form of an XML filter."

If you find this or some other opensource  tool worthwhile I'd certainly
consider ways to make it work smoothly with Xilize2.

Andy