List:       jedit-users
Subject:    [ jEdit-users ] display glitches on secondary monitor with jEdit 4.2final
From:       Ben Williams <benw1 () westnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2005-09-27 6:35:28

Hi all,

I've come across some display glitches in jEdit 4.2final. I run two
monitors from my laptop (a Sony Vaio), with jEdit on the secondary
monitor. For reasons known only to myself ( ;) ), position-wise my
secondary monitor is below the primary monitor:

                 +---------+
                 |         |
                 |    1    |
                 |         |
                 +---------+
                   +---------+
                   |         |
                   |    2    |
                   |         |
                   +---------+

First thing is, dialogs (like Find & Replace) sometimes appear on
monitor 1 rather than monitor 2. If I move them to monitor 2 (where the
main jEdit window is), they stay there as expected until I close down
jEdit and restart it. After I launch jEdit again, they appear back on
monitor 1, and they have zero height (they just appear as their title
bar) - I have to resize them with one of the drag handles before they
can be used. Then they're fine again until the next restart.

Second thing is, I've got the File System Browser docked on the right
hand side of the main window. When I expand that and click on the
favourites menu, the menu appears at the bottom of monitor 1 rather than
monitor 2 (I have 9 entries in my favourites, the widest of which is 78
characters wide).

The favourites menu always appears upwards of the button in the file
browser. If I resize the jEdit window so that this menu has enough room
on the bottom monitor, it appears as expected. The same behaviour
happens in the non-docked file browser dialog.

These things only happen when I have my monitors arranged as they are
above - if the secondary monitor is to either side or above the primary
monitor, none of these symptoms happen.

jEdit stats from the activity log are:

[message] Log: java.version=1.5.0_04
[message] Log: java.vm.version=1.5.0_04-b05
[message] Log: java.runtime.version=1.5.0_04-b05
[message] Log: java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
[message] Log: java.compiler=null
[message] Log: os.name=Windows XP
[message] Log: os.version=5.1
[message] Log: os.arch=x86
[message] Log: user.home=C:\Documents and Settings\benw
[message] Log: java.home=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04
[message] Log: java.class.path=C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar
[notice] jEdit: jEdit version 4.2final

I've tried updating my video drivers (they were already at the latest
version), and turning off hardware acceleration, which had no effect.

Any ideas?

  - Ben