List:       jedit-users
Subject:    Re: [ jEdit-users ] Re: eclipse, idea, etc
From:       Randall R Schulz <rschulz () sonic ! net>
Date:       2004-10-29 14:49:11

Ahmed,

On Friday 29 October 2004 02:49, Ahmed Mohombe wrote:
> > I do not agree with
> > Randall when he said that IDE are for conformists, but maybe it's
> > because I do not understand what it means.

What I meant is that with IDEs you generally must do things the way the
IDE (or, more precisely, its designers) want them done. Homey don't
play that. With jEdit, you get to have things your own way.

> > What I know is that Idea
> > is a very very good IDE. It's mostly a text editor with very
> > intuitive features, shortcuts ...
> > Maybe you can try the last beta : http://www.intellij.net it's
> > free, so you can make your own opinion
>
> The good part of Intellij IDE is that it works how one would expect.
> It's almost intelligent :).

That's what everyone says about the tools they like. It's completely
subjective and hence irrefutable, but also irrelevant.

> JEdit on the other side, would have the big advantage that it could
> be the "only viable editor platform". I really mean that :). All the
> other platfomrs: Eclipse, Netbeans, are too big and too complicated.
> They are too big for my litle brain :). I really loved that
> "jedit-sythax" package, and I integrated in  a lot of places.
> I would really like if the actual JEdit, would be more "component"
> oriented, so that "mortal developers" too could integrate it in
> required applications. ...

It's valid to want jEdit to be embeddable, but I don't get the
impression that was a design criterion at the outset. On the other
hand, its customizability and extensibility are superb. That's enough
for me.

> ... At the moment, the new JEdit it's becomming
> too complicated (and starts too look moore like Eclipse and Netbeans
> - regarding complexity).

I don't know about that. When you start up Eclipse for the first time,
what do you see? An editor? No way. When you start up a stock jEdit,
you see an editor. A good one. Where you take it from there is up to
you.

> Ahmed.

Randall Schulz

For reliable Linux application installations, use the industry's leading
setup authoring tool, InstallShield X. Learn more and evaluate
today. http://clk.atdmt.com/MSI/go/ins0030000001msi/direct/01/