List:       jedit-users
Subject:    Re: [ jEdit-users ] eclipse, idea, etc
From:       Matt Chaput <matt () sidefx ! com>
Date:       2004-10-29 18:30:05

> For me, it's not either/or, it's both. I would never use JEdit to write
> Java code, Eclipse is my preferred tool for that. I'm tons more
> productive using Eclipse to write Java.
>
> I use JEdit for mostly everything else, Python, Ruby, batch files,
> XML, etc.

Agree. I was using jEdit for Java but now I'm completely hooked on
Eclipse's constant compilation and "code sense", or whatever you want to
call it. Code completion etc. plugins in jEdit have always been buggy
and don't AFAIK come anywhere near the capabilities of Eclipse.

On the other hand, the complete lack of usable XML editing in Eclipse is
a scandal. I think about joining their dev list just to ask them what
the hell they're smoking on that one. jEdit absolutely kicks Eclipse's
ass here.

Matt

--
Matt Chaput               |   S I D E E F F E C T S   S O F T W A R E
Word Monkey               |   www.sidefx.com

"A goddamned ray of sunshine all the goddamned time" -- Sparkle Hayter