List:       jedit-users
Subject:    Re: [ jEdit-users ] jEdit on CD
From:       Martin Fischbach <mail () martin-fischbach ! de>
Date:       2003-08-26 21:36:27

Hi Alexander, hi Barry,

I just wasnt active (a little bit frustated about hd crash =:/ ) But
nevermind ...... Wiki seems to have write access again .... I īll try to
update soon!

> Hemphill, Barry wrote:
>> I envision the plugin (or core feature - whatever works best) being
>> somewhat
>> like the Plugin Manager or Macro Manager, in that the user would connect
>> the jedit.org site, retrieve a list of current "schemes" and then select
>> one
>> (or more) to download. The "scheme" would simply be a list of properties
>> be set, and would then be merged into the existing local properties
>> (would
>> probably need an option for overwrite/ignore for duplicate or
>> conflicting
>> properties).
>
> Yes, I thought about such a feature, too. It should go into the core,
> cause if its in a plugin, you would have to download that plugin first,
> that might irritate beginners.

I totally agree!

>> A part of this that I think would really benefit everyone is that we
>> could
>> then create sort of "plugin sets". I saw a thread along these lines a
>> while
>> back (sorry, I was travelling so my recollection is a bit spotty), where
>> jEdit had been marked down a bit on a review because it didn't come with
>> lot of plugins out of the box. It would be nice to be able to install
>> jEdit,
>> open up a window like Plugin Manager and choose "Java Development Set",
>> which downloaded Java Browser, CodeAid (or whatever).
>
> I personally would integrate that as an extension to the Plugin Manager,
> like an additional list in the "install plugins" tab, where you can
> select for example "java" and it auto-selects some useful plugins for
> working with java. Downloading stays the same. That way it would be
> totally compatible to the existing plugin system and gives you the
> freedom to choose every single plugin yourself (which is good for
> experienced jedit users and AFAIK part of jEdit's philosophy).

Yes, that sound good!

>> Of course, one of the nice things about jEdit is community
>> contributions,
>> and that would be essential for properties schemes. I'd like to be able
>> submit/upload my properties and then just point my students at it, so
>> with a
>> couple of clicks they would get the configuration they'd learned, as
>> well as
>> the required plugins to go with it.
>
> Martin Fischbach, me and others started to collect plugin configurations
> for different working areas (like java, tex, html,...) on the new jedit
> wiki: http://community.jedit.org/cgi-bin/TWiki/view/Main/PluginsOverview
> Unfortunately the last good changes are lost due to the Sourceforge disk
> crash...

Updated tonight!

>> Anyway, what does everyone think? I wouldn't mind taking a swing at
>> implementing this, but as I said I'm not that far beyond "Hello World"
>> in
>> Java, so it wouldn't be any time soon. Or am I (horror of horrors)
>> simply
>> repeating an idea that's already been implemented and I simply don't
>> know
>> about it? Hope not :)
>
> I think we need it! But we should discuss the requirements for that
> stuff in the community first to make it useful for everyone. I might
> help in development of that (if there is enough time...).

First, sorry for so much quoted text :)

To make a short conclusion:

I īll set up a Wiki page for the issues above!

Features:

- property schemes - what exactly do we need
  - Barry, which properties do you need, do you think are useful???
 - predefined plugin sets for different working areas (integrated in plugin
manager)

Best regards

Martin
--