List:       jedit-users
Subject:    Re: [ jEdit-users ] Problem with Syntax Highlighing and 4.0pre4
From:       Slava Pestov <slava () jedit ! org>
Date:       2002-01-31 3:26:03

On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 01:25, Philip Hofstetter wrote:
> unfortunately, this does not help. I had it enabled when writing to the
> list. When I am back at my Windows-machine (the Powerbook I am
> currently working with is unfortunaltely too slow for jEdit), I will do
> some further testing.

I looked at the source and realised this feature wasn't fully
implemented... it should work in pre5. If it doesn't, please remind me
to take another look.

> About jEdit on Mac OS X: I found (besides the inacceptable speed, but
> this is nothing you can fix) two issues:
>
>  *) The font of the textarea is always anti-aliases regardless of the
>     setting in the Preferences-Dialog. This is, I suppose an un-fixable
>     JRE-Problem (the one built-in with OS X)

If you have access to the source code, can you try changing the
updateRenderingHints() method in org/gjt/sp/jedit/TextAreaPainter.java
to this:

	private void updateRenderingHints()
	{
		HashMap hints = new HashMap();

		if(antiAlias)
		{
			hints.put(RenderingHints.KEY_RENDERING, RenderingHints.VALUE_RENDER_QUALITY);
			hints.put(RenderingHints.KEY_ANTIALIASING, RenderingHints.VALUE_ANTIALIAS_ON);
			hints.put(RenderingHints.KEY_TEXT_ANTIALIASING, RenderingHints.VALUE_TEXT_ANTIALIAS_ON);
		}
		else
		{
			hints.put(RenderingHints.KEY_ANTIALIASING, RenderingHints.VALUE_ANTIALIAS_OFF);
			hints.put(RenderingHints.KEY_TEXT_ANTIALIASING, RenderingHints.VALUE_TEXT_ANTIALIAS_OFF);
		}

		hints.put(RenderingHints.KEY_FRACTIONALMETRICS,
			fracFontMetrics ?
				RenderingHints.VALUE_FRACTIONALMETRICS_ON
				: RenderingHints.VALUE_FRACTIONALMETRICS_OFF);

		renderingHints = new RenderingHints(hints);
		fontRenderContext = new FontRenderContext(null,antiAlias,
			fracFontMetrics);
	}

It differs from the original in that when anti-aliasing is disabled, it
sets both the ANTIALIASING and TEXT_ANTIALIASING hints to OFF, where
previously it only changed the ANTIALISING hint.

>  *) The shortcut-keys are not recognized correctly: I am working with
>     the swiss-german keyboard-Layout and Coammand-Z is recognized as
>     Command-Y and the other way around. I suspect, jEdit gets the
>     americain bindings reported.

This is a known bug -- I will try to fix it in a future release.

> Anyway: I really like jEdit. It's (under Windows with a machine
> powerful enough) the best text editor I came across so far and I will
> never switch to another tool again.

Thanks!
--
Slava Pestov