List:       jedit-devel
Subject:    [ jEdit-devel ] [jedit:bugs] #3931 incorrect display scaling on MacOSX Retina (with workaround)
From:       "draeath" <draeath () users ! sf ! net>
Date:       2015-10-11 20:01:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/related)]

--===============2620116047587005669==

That did the trick... and it seems doing it via the terminal wasn't enough. Finder \
seems to do some extra work that it just doesn't tell you about.

So, yes. Inserting NSHighResolutionCapable and shuffling the .app around to \
invalidate this cached plist works! Looks like a simple fix for future versions, eh?

---

** [bugs:#3931] incorrect display scaling on MacOSX Retina (with workaround)**

**Status:** open
**Group:** normal bug
**Labels:** MacOSX specific
**Created:** Sun Oct 11, 2015 03:03 PM UTC by draeath
**Last Updated:** Sun Oct 11, 2015 07:12 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody
**Attachments:**

- [jedit-retina-examples.tar](https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/bugs/3931/attachment/jedit-retina-examples.tar) \
(767.5 kB; application/x-tar)

correctly

Version/Environment: jEdit 5.2.0 on OSX El Capitan
java version "1.8.0_60", Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_60-b27), Java \
HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.60-b23, mixed mode)

When run with the jEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/jedit binary, scaling does not work \
correctly. While screen elements and fonts are rendered with the correct size, they \
appear to have been scaled up and look very ugly and pixelated. When run directly as \
"java -jar jEdit.app/Contents/Java/jedit.jar, this problem is not present and \
everything looks great. I have tried every included look&feel and they all exhibit \
this same behavior. Including a side-by-side screenshot comparison.

> From the about screen, when run with the binary OR direct (doesn't change)
jEdit 5.2.0 server-background mode, using Oracle Corporation Java 1.8.0_60

Not familiar with the wrapper being used, so I won't guess as to the cause, but I \
suspect a JVM argument or environment variable disparity between the executed JRE \
from the wrapper, and the defaults when java is run direct from the terminal. I only \
have this one JRE installed.

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because jedit-devel@lists.sourceforge.net is subscribed to \
https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/bugs/

To unsubscribe from further messages, a project admin can change settings at \
https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/admin/bugs/options.  Or, if this is a mailing list, \
                you can unsubscribe from the mailing list.
--===============2620116047587005669==

terminal wasn't enough. Finder seems to do some extra work that it just doesn't tell \
you about.</p> <p>So, yes. Inserting NSHighResolutionCapable and shuffling the .app \
around to invalidate this cached plist works! Looks like a simple fix for future \
versions, eh?</p> <hr/>
href="http://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/bugs/3931/">[bugs:#3931]</a> incorrect display \
<ul>
<li><a class="" href="https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/bugs/3931/attachment/jedit-retina-examples.tar">jedit-retina-examples.tar</a> \
(767.5 kB; application/x-tar)</li> </ul>
java version "1.8.0_60", Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_60-b27), Java \
HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.60-b23, mixed mode)</p> <p>When run with the \
jEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/jedit binary, scaling does not work correctly. While screen \
elements and fonts are rendered with the correct size, they appear to have been \
scaled up and look very ugly and pixelated. When run directly as "java -jar \
jEdit.app/Contents/Java/jedit.jar, this problem is not present and everything looks \
great. I have tried every included look&amp;feel and they all exhibit this same \
behavior. Including a side-by-side screenshot comparison.</p> <p>From the about \
screen, when run with the binary OR direct (doesn't change)<br/> jEdit 5.2.0 \
server-background mode, using Oracle Corporation Java 1.8.0_60</p> <p>Not familiar \
with the wrapper being used, so I won't guess as to the cause, but I suspect a JVM \
argument or environment variable disparity between the executed JRE from the wrapper, \
and the defaults when java is run direct from the terminal. I only have this one JRE \
installed.</p> <hr/>
href="https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/admin/bugs/options.">https://sourceforge.net/p/jedit/admin/bugs/options.</a> \
                Or, if this is a mailing list, you can unsubscribe from the mailing \
                list.</p></div>
--===============2620116047587005669==--