List:       jedit-devel
Subject:    [ jEdit-devel ] [ jedit-Bugs-2660737 ] Cannot enter any text into
From:       "SourceForge.net" <noreply () sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2009-03-27 13:16:42

Bugs item #2660737, was opened at 2009-03-04 11:00
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by shlomy
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100588&aid=2660737&group_id=588

not just the latest update.
Category: search and replace
Group: None

Initial Comment:
When I try and type text into the "Search for" field (or any field, actually) in the \
search/replace dialog, nothing happens. Also, the keyboard shortcuts (copy, paste, \
alt-I to toggle ignore case, etc) don't work either. The mouse does work inside the \
dialog, though.

What's weird is this used to work. I was using jedit all of friday and it was fine. \
Then I moved my pc to a new office this week and this happened. I know it shouldn't \
have any effect, but really - that's the only thing I changed :)

I noticed this happen while using jedit before, but then I just closed jedit and \
opened it again and it was fine.

This time I closed all files, closed jedit, tried again... same thing. I then closed \
jedit, moved my .jedit folder to .jedit_backup (this fixed problems for me before) \
and re-launched jedit with the default settings and it still didn't work. I restarted \
my pc.. same thing. I upgraded from 4.3pre15 to 4.3pre16 (using the java based \
installer) and it did exactly the same thing. (I did check the about dialog to make \
sure it is actually running the version I just installed)

I'm using sun-java6-jre Version: 6-06-0ubuntu1 that's in Ubuntu Hardy. (but really - \
this worked all day every day for months without me updating anything, so can't \
imagine it making any difference)

Interestingly, I spoke to a friend who claims the exact same thing happened to him \
when he used jedit on macosx. (he eventually gave up for various reasons and went \
back to ubuntu, so I'm not sure he ever got to the bottom of this)

I even tried jedit without any other apps running to see if anything could be \
interfering with it and that made no difference either.

Oh and I'm not using any desktop effects - just plain old metacity. (I noticed that \
people suggested that that might be the cause of problems in jedit elsewhere)

I'm also not running jedit fullscreen (maximised) - that's been the source of various \
problems for me in the past.

Date: 2009-03-27 16:16

Message:
If you don't want to continue checking this bug, please consider closing
the item. Otherwise:
- Do you get the same problem also with other dialogs (e.g. File / Open),
or only Search & Replace?
- What do you see when you open the dialog? Does it look like it has the
keyboard focus? (Usually this is indicated by the color of the title, but
that's system dependent) You say you type, and the characters you type do
not go to the dialog - can you check if they go to some other window?

Comment By: Le Roux Bodenstein (leroux__)
Date: 2009-03-20 11:08

Message:
It can't update automatically - you have to either run it manually from the
command-line or click the updates button in the panel and fill in a
password. Even if it did, the latest version of sun-java6-jre in Ubuntu
Hardy is "6-07-3ubuntu2". Also, I installed jedit using the java based
installer, so if the path to java changed, then the script that runs it
would break because it hardcodes the path to java when you install jedit.

Now that I think about it, I did change one thing - I have two monitors
and when I plugged them in they were swapped the wrong way around. So I
used the nvidia-settings tool again to swap the screens the right way which
overrides your xorg config. But I checked through there at the time and I
could see no other changes. But perhaps it is some minor X config setting
that triggered it?

But I'm not too worried anymore - for now I just run java 5 which fixes
the problem for me and I'm hoping to replace this aging pc soon.

Comment By: Shlomy Reinstein (shlomy)
Date: 2009-03-20 10:56

Message:
The only thing you did was move the PC to a new office, but maybe some
automatic update of Java, or your operating system took place and caused
this?

Comment By: Le Roux Bodenstein (leroux__)
Date: 2009-03-20 10:19

Message:
I'm actually still running Ubuntu Hardy on this pc and it had 6-06 at the
time which I assume means update 6. 6-07 seems to be the latest version in
hardy, but I only tried to upgrade to it _after_ I got this error. The
weird thing is that I never updated this pc since I installed it (not until
after this bug appeared, anyway)

I know it doesn't really help if I tell you I didn't change anything and
it just happened by itself, but as far as I can tell that's what happened..
Must have been a cosmic ray :)

But I've had other weird, unsolved bugs in JEdit that also only affects
this one pc (see https://sourceforge.net/support/tracker.php?aid=2189246),
so perhaps it is related?

Comment By: Shlomy Reinstein (shlomy)
Date: 2009-03-20 01:10

Message:
Which java 6 caused the problem? I know that update 12 of java 6 introduced
a few "large" features, and with them, it introduced a few issues that can
break some GUI applications. Specifically, the constructor of JComponent,
which is a base class for all Swing GUI widgets, now calls methods in
derived classes that were never be called before (yes, this is one of the
few flaws in the definition of Java...). This causes some hard-to-find
bugs.

Maybe this is the same for jEdit. Can you try with Java 6 update 11 and
see if you get the same thing?

Comment By: Le Roux Bodenstein (leroux__)
Date: 2009-03-04 11:52

Message:
I removed java6 and installed java5, now it works. (Had to obviously hack
the path in /usr/local/bin/jedit to make it work, though)

Btw, this affected all dialogs - not just search and replace.

I still find it odd, because it used to work with java6..