List:       jedit-devel
Subject:    Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Some requests and questions for the new
From:       Kazutoshi Satoda <k_satoda () f2 ! dion ! ne ! jp>
Date:       2008-07-22 1:15:40

Hi Matthieu, very sorry for late response.

Matthieu Casanova wrote:
> I will add those explicit folds as soon as the svn access will be
> repaired on sourceforge.

I got them with r13063. Thank you.

> I'll try to add the javadocs too, but I prefers fixing bugs in the api before

If you are already sure how to fix the "bugs in the api", it might be
best.

It might be better to share the problem by pointing out where the bugs
you know. I don't know what part of APIs are intended and what part have
known bugs. It seems another difficulty of reviewing until you say they
are fixed.

>> What is the class BufferSetManager for? The name smells bad, and I
>> want no more SomethingManager or SomethingUtils classes in jEdit.
>> (I really want to break them to more concrete small classes.)
>> http://www.bright-green.com/blog/2003_02_25/naming_java_classes_without_a.html
>> Please clarify what should be done around and outside the BufferSet
>> itself.

> It is the class that will store the BufferSets, create and destroy
> them. I think manager is a good term for that.

While BufferSet have public constructor (can be created by itself) and
EditPane/View have explicit close() method (have place to write code to
destroy them), it's not clear why another manager is necessary, at least
from view point of users of API.

Looking at private fields in BufferSetManager, some of them looks
redundant or mis-placed.

What is different between lookuping editPaneBufferSetMap and calling the
method EditPane.getBufferSet()? It is strange if they are different.

Why the View doesn't have getBufferSet() for view-scope bufferset?

On the other hand, the field bufferBufferSetMap looks having essential
information. The primary role and responsibility of the class is
maintaining this map, isn't it?

> About the xxxUtils classes, what is the problem ? That's right it
> would be better if it would be concrete classes, singleton probably,
> but why breaking them into more small classes ? I already broke
> MiscUtilities, you want to split it again ?

I realized that many methods in MiscUtilities are already deprecated.
The problems became smaller. Thanks.  Ah, The javadocs for class
MiscUtilities seems to need update.

For the problems of xxxUtils, the name provides little information, it
accepts almost any code, it can make unwanted dependency bloat.

Breaking them into more small classes, which have concrete names, will
be better. Such as, ... class Path for path name manipulations, though
I don't sure.

> By the way, who is Alan Green ?

While I didn't think of who wrote that, he provides "about" page, but
might be out of date.
http://www.bright-green.com/blog/2003_03_03/about_alan.html

But the bad smell about SomethingManager or SomethingUtils is not his
own sense, and I agree with that.
http://www.google.com/search?q=somethingmanager

> A bufferSet is basically a list of buffers that are available in an
> EditPane. It can be sorted but it is not necessary. If it is not
> sorted it is possible to reorder the buffers

OK, I see.

The boolean variable sorted looks redundant. The condition
(comparator != null) can be used as the variable sorted, right? Then
    private Comparator<Buffer> sorter;
will be descriptive enough and sufficient.

Do you mind if I make such changes (looking obvious to me) directly into
repository?

> The scope is in the BufferSet for debugging purpose, and also because
> it is necessary to know that when saving the perspective. The scope of
> the BufferSet doesn't mean anything for the EditPane, the EditPane is
> only a listener of the BufferSet changes

As said about BufferSetManager, having BufferSet instances for each scope
(EditPane, View, global(jEdit?)) looks straightforward and also sufficient
to save perspective. Do you know whether it is possible or not?

Thanks.
--
k_satoda