List:       jedit-devel
Subject:    Re: [ jEdit-devel ] [ jedit-Patches-1715109 ] Feature proposal:
From:       Kazutoshi Satoda <k_satoda () f2 ! dion ! ne ! jp>
Date:       2007-06-29 18:03:37

Matthieu Casanova wrote:
> Hi, the reason to have example sequences is that I think a lot of users will
> not know what they should use. Most users use a text editor, and if a file
> cannot be opened they think that the editor is not good enough. You give
> this option, but I'm not sure everybody will be able to use it

You are right. Effective use of this feature needs some knowledge about
encodings. It also needs some experimental knowledge because immature
sequence of fallback encodings can be a cause of silent failure with
Mojibake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojibake). My sequence were fixed
by testing in real life for some weeks or months.

Because of that, I don't know what sequence other users should use. I
can imagine a sequence which will suit for most Japanese Windows users.
But it won't suit for users in other environments.

To provide an example sequence to many and unspecified persons, I think
we should say what target (environment or kind of users) the sequence
will suit for and verify that the sequence won't cause Mojibake in
general use for the target.

Could you say the target and verify it won't cause Mojibake about your
sequence "UTF-8 ISO-8859-1"?

Another problem is, HistoryTextField seems not to suit to provide the
example sequences because it can't show what target the sequence is for.
Without showing the target, users still don't know what they should use.

Detailed documentation and commented examples in help page might be a
solution. But it needs some time and fluent English writing which I
don't have enough now. I spent 4 hours to write this mail. Very sorry.
--
k_satoda

http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/