List:       jedit-devel
Subject:    [ jEdit-devel ] [ jedit-Bugs-1742866 ] #! /path strings are not
From:       "SourceForge.net" <noreply () sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2007-06-25 14:10:47

Bugs item #1742866, was opened at 2007-06-25 18:10
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100588&aid=1742866&group_id=588

not just the latest update.
Category: editor core
Group: normal bug

Initial Comment:
I run jEdit 4.3pre9 on Linux/Sun JRE 1.5 and I'm running across the following bug:

In many cases, the shi-bang path is used to determine filetype, and that's right. But \
it seems, that jEdit only handles the "#!/bin/sh"-style form, not the "#! /bin/sh".

But, the second form happens to be a widespread and traditional style (there was even \
a single Unix, that required it).

According to modern Unices behaviour, it seems that we need to change jEdit shi-bang \
parser to make use of the following behaviour:

While parsing the shi-band lines, we really should make use of "!/bin/sh" and "#! \
/bin/sh"-like forms (i. e. without space and with one space). Also somewhat common \
style is having "#!<tab>/bin/sh", we should use it too.

It seems unnecessary to make use of several spaces or tabs, also modern Unices \
commonly permit this. Emacs does not use the shi-bang line, if it has more than one \
leading whitespace, but VIM does.

http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/