List:       jedit-devel
Subject:    Re: [ jEdit-devel ] Edit modes: DIGIT_RE problems
From:       Slava Pestov <slava () jedit ! org>
Date:       2004-12-31 23:40:20

Hi,

Why constrain yourself to using DIGIT_RE? You can just define normal
syntax rules with a token type of DIGIT.

Gerd Knops wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to write an edit mode for an assembler. That assembler
> allows som number formats that I just can't seem to teach to jEdit:
>
> Hex: The assembler allows hex digits followed by a 'h', they do NOT have
> to start with a digit. Example is ffah. I tried [[:xdigit:]]+[Hh] with
> no luck. I even tried just ffah in the DIGIT_RE, even that doesn't work!

This is a limitation of the tokenizer. Only tokens containing at least
one digit are checked against DIGIT_RE. Instead, add a rule like so:

<MARK_PREVIOUS TYPE="DIGIT">h</MARK_PREVIOUS>

> Another problem: The assembler takes binary, octal, decimal and hex
> numbers in the form <R>'<digits>', where <R> identifies the radix and
> <digits> are valid digits in that radix. Examples:
>
>     B'010101'
>     O'01234'
>     D'01234'
>     H'123abAB'
>
> I tried
>
>     [Bb]'[01]+'|[OoQq]'[0-7]+'|[Dd]'[[:digit:]]+'|[Hh]'[[:xdigit:]]+'

Add SPAN rules:

<SPAN TYPE="DIGIT">
	<BEGIN>B'</BEGIN>
	<END>'</END>
</SPAN>

and so on.

> but no dice. I even added
>
>     <PROPERTY NAME="noWordSep" VALUE="._'" />

This property is not used for syntax highlighting. Add a NO_WORD_SEP
attribute to the RULES tag.

> Last problem: Any character in single quotes is replaced by an unsigned
> char value, example 'a'. I tried '.' and you guessed it, no such luck.

Again, just use a SPAN.

Slava