List:       jedit-devel
Subject:    [ jEdit-devel ] [ jedit-Bugs-984928 ] usability suggestions
From:       "SourceForge.net" <noreply () sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2004-07-04 14:02:54

Bugs item #984928, was opened at 2004-07-04 09:02
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100588&aid=984928&group_id=588

Category: editor core
Group: None

Initial Comment:
A context menu is supposed to relate to the context,
not the entire application.  Therefore, I suggest
removing Global Options from the default context menu.

This is also in accordance with the Java Look and Feel
guidelines:
http://java.sun.com/products/jlf/ed1/dg/higi.htm#35609

Mentioned in
http://www.andyp.uklinux.net/linux/anjuta/whitepaper/ar01s03.html

Mentioned in Eclipse Design Guidelines:
http://eclipse.org/articles/Article-UI-Guidelines/Contents.html

Additionally, readability studies have shown that an
indent width of four spaces is optimal so I would
propose changing that as well.  Supported by
http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/gamebuilders/services/projects/AP/CodingStyle.html
Supported by
http://home-1.tiscali.nl/~solognt/codingstuff/CodingStandards.html
Supported by
http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/avalon-site/code-standards.html

Tab width should remain at 8 spaces though since that
is its historic value.